bobcat gland lure

hammer33

Im no expert on bobcats but in my limited experience, they are the least interested in lures of the predators. You have to be on location OR have a good flashy set to attract them. Then the lure should interest them long enough to stick their nose in it and step on your pan.

Their behavior is different from a dog or other predators. Its possible to draw them in from long distances with a feather on a string blowing in the wind over your set, or have a bunch of feathers scattered around your set. Ive watched them ignore awesome sets with lure/bait, but caught them on stupid sets with no bait that was in the right spot. Use their curiosity against them. A set that is easy and quick to investigate will catch less than sets that require more time and work for them to figure out. A pile of brush, haybale, hay pile, farm junkpile, that type of flashy set will require more investigation than a dirthole set with fancy lure. Use your trail cams to observe them at your sets. Set along trails/habitat where you have gotten trail cam pix. I know it didn't answer your lure question but hope this helps. Go get em !

Speedwell-Hunter

Im no expert on bobcats but in my limited experience, they are the least interested in lures of the predators. You have to be on location OR have a good flashy set to attract them. Then the lure should interest them long enough to stick their nose in it and step on your pan.

Their behavior is different from a dog or other predators. Its possible to draw them in from long distances with a feather on a string blowing in the wind over your set, or have a bunch of feathers scattered around your set. Ive watched them ignore awesome sets with lure/bait, but caught them on stupid sets with no bait that was in the right spot. Use their curiosity against them. A set that is easy and quick to investigate will catch less than sets that require more time and work for them to figure out. A pile of brush, haybale, hay pile, farm junkpile, that type of flashy set will require more investigation than a dirthole set with fancy lure. Use your trail cams to observe them at your sets. Set along trails/habitat where you have gotten trail cam pix. I know it didn't answer your lure question but hope this helps. Go get em !

ive got feathers and a nice wing in the air, picture attached:

red circle is dirt hole, arrow is showing trail going up a hill, out of the view of the photo. same picture, one with red circle and arrow, other is without. thanks for feedback

Attachments

• 11E692EE-73A0-4922-93DC-E80D20F99943.jpeg
    11E692EE-73A0-4922-93DC-E80D20F99943.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Cat set 1-30-22.jpeg
    Cat set 1-30-22.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 82

hammer33

You got some great advice on the other thread from much better cat trappers than me.
I want to learn how to make that bobcat pee post set he mentioned.

squirrel_hunter

Feathers is way to go cat trapping. But in Arkansas cant use any animal parts can be use. If it can be seen from birds of prey from above. I use angel yarn type Christmas ornaments. Or i use a t bone set. Hide the bone in clump of grass. I use different gland lures with pee.
Jeff Dunlap
Dobbins
Cavens
Welchs
Junes
Locklear.
All of them makes a good cat lure. There is a few of brands i have tried. That i wouldn't buy again. But the one's i have named are in my bag right now.

Speedwell-Hunter

Feathers is way to go cat trapping. But in Arkansas cant use any animal parts can be use. If it can be seen from birds of prey from above. I use angel yarn type Christmas ornaments. Or i use a t bone set. Hide the bone in clump of grass. I use different gland lures with pee.
Jeff Dunlap
Dobbins
Cavens
Welchs
Junes
Locklear.
All of them makes a good cat lure. There is a few of brands i have tried. That i wouldn't buy again. But the one's i have named are in my bag right now.
which do you like best, i do have a budget lol.

squirrel_hunter

Lures ? About any lure will work. Some lures when i order i get 8 to 10 oz's of that brand. I dont wont to run low. Because one season they have it. Next season mite be limited. Because they cant get 1 ingredient that they need. Look around u can find deals. When nta came to Springfield Mo. I bought several different lures for 4.00 each. So i bought enough to last several yrs. I fount one guy selling Violator 7. He had 5 1oz for 3.50 each. I bought everyone. I had just bought several oz's before i came across that deal. Lure dont go bad as long as its taken care of. At Christmas i get trapping supplies . I couldn't be happier.

Speedwell-Hunter

ient that they need. Look around u can find deals. When nta came to Springfield Mo. I bought several different lures for 4.00 each. So i bought en
Lures ? About any lure will work. Some lures when i order i get 8 to 10 oz's of that brand. I dont wont to run low. Because one season they have it. Next season mite be limited. Because they cant get 1 ingredient that they need. Look around u can find deals. When nta came to Springfield Mo. I bought several different lures for 4.00 each. So i bought enough to last several yrs. I fount one guy selling Violator 7. He had 5 1oz for 3.50 each. I bought everyone. I had just bought several oz's before i came across that deal. Lure dont go bad as long as its taken care of. At Christmas i get trapping supplies . I couldn't be happier.
How do you store them? you said : "Lure dont go bad as long as its taken care of."

thanks

squirrel_hunter

I store them in my reloading room. We have a extra room on the house. Keep them in a cool dry No sunlight area. They will keep fine. I have all sunlight blocked out of that room.

squirrel_hunter

NO It best to keep in a cool dark place. Even under the house where its cool is a better place. Pee iis the same way. The high temperatures isnt good on it. The heat will end up breaking it down. if i had to pick either heat or cold to leave the stuff in. I would pick cold anytime.

Speedwell-Hunter

NO It best to keep in a cool dark place. Even under the house where its cool is a better place. Pee iis the same way. The high temperatures isnt good on it. The heat will end up breaking it down. if i had to pick either heat or cold to leave the stuff in. I would pick cold anytime.
Well I will have to modify where I store my stuff now this helps a lot, Thank you again for this

Speedwell-Hunter

I cant way too trapping season. I am planning on doing some summer time coyote trapping on a hunting club. I do nuisance control trapping.
what are your summer yote sets going to consist of. I have put a hold on my yote trapping until july-august, I cannot afford the diesel anymore for now to drive 1 hour to and from the sets to released damn coons and possums. very frustrating.

in your summer sets, what brand lure and pee will you disperse, also FYI, here was my setup lately that caught coons and possum:

Two flat sets, bridger #2 fully modified, I put at one set the following combo:

a rock with this dunlap predator paste (horrible smelling and may not use pred paste anymore due to smell), link here:
Amazon product ASIN B01M3YQ2ZC
then I added this yote pee on top of the rock:

Set #2:

flat set, same bridger #2 fully modified and a combo of the following:
- https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Urines/Dunlap's+Winterized+Bobcat+Urine
-this stuff from fleming traps for yotes, called coyote bait #2 : https://www.flemingtraps.com/coyote-bait--2-16-oz-.html
-I think I also put some yote lure here, a small amount on the front of the log, facing the pan, it was this stuff: https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Coyote+Lures/Dunlap's+Death+Coyote+Gland+Lure

I put the bait under a small log and the urine on the top of the log

thanks for any feedback.

Your thoughts and what will you be using.

squirrel_hunter

I like the following lures for summer.
Canine force Cavens
All call. Dobbins lures
Canine select
Mississippi special
Alpha Predator Dunlap
Massacre
Vengeance
Boss dog Locklear
Fur check
Addiction Welch's
Pro's pick
Carman pro grade
Circle maker
Vent sent.
Baits
Terminator Cavens
Dirt nap liquid Dunlap
Federales. Locklear
Primal paste bait
Liquid mice
Simple mice
Canine to feline Welch's
Apple Road horse meat. Apple Road
It has a sweet smell to it. A good one for a good change up. I try not to use a loud smelling tained bait in the summer. I also dont use alot of gland lures in the summer. I use dirt holes different types of flat sets. (Like a t bone set alot). Sounds like your making some good sets. Way i look at summer trapping. Coyotes are more after food for the pups. So i back off coyote gland lure. But i would use a little bobcat or red fox gland lure. I like a fully modified trap to use on coyotes. I am in the process of fully modified all my traps. I use little coyote pee . But more bobcats and red fox pee.

squirrel_hunter

Do u have release them? In Arkansas coyote bobcat fox coon oppsum and skunk. They are a nuisance here. On private land u can kill them 24/7 365. They done this to help turkeys quail out. If i catch a bobcat and fox i will release them. Dont dont have alot of fox. Everything else dont get a free pass. If u want to help your turkeys out. Dont release coon oppsum and skunk. Its hard to keep oppsum and coons out of a set. I have caught them on just coyote pee. U could snare and that would cut back on catching them. I know its a pain to catch one. I caught a coon in a flat set. Then end up catching 4 coyotes in that set. Another good set would be pipe dream set. When i mow the yard. I let the grass dry. Then put it in feed type sacks. Grass works good. I use it on some of my flat sets. In grassy area's. I would cover with pea moss. Then put grass on top. When it rains only set i could get to work is with grass. I would make a flat set. Take a screen pan cover. Then use grass on top good but too much. Rain runs off without taking your grass. But if u dont run a screen cover. Rain washes it off top your set.

Speedwell-Hunter

Do u have release them? In Arkansas coyote bobcat fox coon oppsum and skunk. They are a nuisance here. On private land u can kill them 24/7 365. They done this to help turkeys quail out. If i catch a bobcat and fox i will release them. Dont dont have alot of fox. Everything else dont get a free pass. If u want to help your turkeys out. Dont release coon oppsum and skunk. Its hard to keep oppsum and coons out of a set. I have caught them on just coyote pee. U could snare and that would cut back on catching them. I know its a pain to catch one. I caught a coon in a flat set. Then end up catching 4 coyotes in that set. Another good set would be pipe dream set. When i mow the yard. I let the grass dry. Then put it in feed type sacks. Grass works good. I use it on some of my flat sets. In grassy area's. I would cover with pea moss. Then put grass on top. When it rains only set i could get to work is with grass. I would make a flat set. Take a screen pan cover. Then use grass on top good but too much. Rain runs off without taking your grass. But if u dont run a screen cover. Rain washes it off top your set.
I didnt understand the pipe dream part or the grass set

State law says we have to let em go during spring, sucks

squirrel_hunter

Bed the trap just like normal. Use a metal screen pan cover. Then cover the trap with grass clipping. It will work during the rain. But if u dont use a screen pan cover. The rain will wash your grass away. Look up pipe dream set on u tube. Mark Zagger is the one came out with the set.