Black Bear - Looking for a hunting partner

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
I am in Scott county TN and I am wanting to hunt some black bear. I know some areas to go if you all are able. It is in Pickett state park and it will be bow only unless they change it.

Atchman2

Please Mr. Randy, fix the damned feeder!

My feeder was clogged up and the corn was GROWING at the bottom. I had to take the bottom off to clear it. About a hundred pounds of corn hit the ground. I'm guess "Sonny" will be happy now. There are so many bears that come and go on the property I started naming them. A $1,000 says not a SINGLE one will be around during the hunting season. :) (It is archery only, but I have a powerful crossbow ready to go).

The bear on the right went into the government's hog trap. I staked it out the other day for hogs, setting up a blind about 50 yards away. It isn't armed right now so it won't close. Saw a deer going in and out to get the corn though.

Attachments

• bears.jpg
    bears.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 53
  • hog trap.jpg
    hog trap.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 47

timberjack86

Y'all gonna change your minds about bear hunting when you discover what it's like to get a 250 pound piece of Velcro out of the woods. They don't slide going downhill!
It's definitely a lot of work. I carry a big bag and debone all I can in the woods. Last one I killed I hauled 110 pounds of debone meat out of the woods. I did leave a hindquarter whole with the sex organs attached. I dread killing one rug or wall worthy and having to get a hide out too. So far that hasn't happened but I know it's going to. 😁 I passed a very large bear last year during the dog hunt because it was several hundred yards down in a canyon! Not a holler a canyon!!

CATCHDAWG

It's definitely a lot of work. I carry a big bag and debone all I can in the woods. Last one I killed I hauled 110 pounds of debone meat out of the woods. I did leave a hindquarter whole with the sex organs attached. I dread killing one rug or wall worthy and having to get a hide out too. So far that hasn't happened but I know it's going to. 😁 I passed a very large bear last year during the dog hunt because it was several hundred yards down in a canyon! Not a holler a canyon!!
I keep forgetting about the new regs. When I used to chase them, they had to be brought out whole minus field dressing. They also had to be physically checked in at select locations. In other words, if the Polk county check station was closed, you might have to drive to Blount or Sevier county. Lots of meat ruined back then for things you couldn't control.

timberjack86

I keep forgetting about the new regs. When I used to chase them, they had to be brought out whole minus field dressing. They also had to be physically checked in at select locations. In other words, if the Polk county check station was closed, you might have to drive to Blount or Sevier county. Lots of meat ruined back then for things you couldn't control.
I can imagine a lot of bears were passed or didn't get checked in back then.

Clintos1980

I really appreciate all of the info posted here. I am just now checking after being away for a bit. Lt. Dan and I talked last night and we're lining up a time to meet up next month and come up with a plan for the fall. I'm sure one, or both, of us will be reaching out here when we get our thoughts together as Dan mentioned above.

Does anyone know the likelihood of seeing feral hogs in the East TN mountains? We're looking at spots there, and I've read several posts where bear hunters killed hogs while they were still hunting or stand hunting. I just didn't know what percent chance of seeing one really was. If we don't find bear sign, it may be an option to change to. I've hunted them in GA.

Hope all the dads here have a great Sunday. I'll be smoking a doe roast and wild pig roast to make BBQ!

Atchman2

Y'all gonna change your minds about bear hunting when you discover what it's like to get a 250 pound piece of Velcro out of the woods. They don't slide going downhill!
The place where I hunt, the guy has two tractors. Works great for big wild boar too! Now there are some ravines that are going to be a pain in the buttocks if one goes in there.

Atchman2

I really appreciate all of the info posted here. I am just now checking after being away for a bit. Lt. Dan and I talked last night and we're lining up a time to meet up next month and come up with a plan for the fall. I'm sure one, or both, of us will be reaching out here when we get our thoughts together as Dan mentioned above.

Does anyone know the likelihood of seeing feral hogs in the East TN mountains? We're looking at spots there, and I've read several posts where bear hunters killed hogs while they were still hunting or stand hunting. I just didn't know what percent chance of seeing one really was. If we don't find bear sign, it may be an option to change to. I've hunted them in GA.

Hope all the dads here have a great Sunday. I'll be smoking a doe roast and wild pig roast to make BBQ!
Well, I have never personally seen a feral hog on government land, but that is probably just me. Where I see them is where I can legally bait them. That is why I have so many bears raiding my feeders. I've had four of them destroyed over the last two years. Now I hang them in a tree. Hanging them in a tree keeps them from being destroyed, but they still stake it out. Then only the biggest boars will come into the feeder, the ones that are nearly as big as the bear.

Attachments

• boar bear.jpg
    boar bear.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 42
  • bear feeder.jpg
    bear feeder.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 43

Clintos1980

Well, I have never personally seen a feral hog on government land, but that is probably just me. Where I see them is where I can legally bait them. That is why I have so many bears raiding my feeders. I've had four of them destroyed over the last two years. Now I hang them in a tree. Hanging them in a tree keeps them from being destroyed, but they still stake it out. Then only the biggest boars will come into the feeder, the ones that are nearly as big as the bear.
Good to know. I've shot 2 in the past few years, both on preserves (which I won't do again, but it was a fun experiment with some non-hunting friends). One was apparently a true wild boar, and the other was a feral pig (mixed). The pig tastes just as good as any pork I've bought from a store. The boar tastes like absolute garbage - I made sausages, meatballs, all kinda fancy stuff with it, and it just has what I guess people call "boar taint".

But the main reason I asked is because if the bear don't show, that may be a fun option. Plenty of deer where I live, but no bear or hogs.

Latest posts