Bird #2 in the rain

Bone Collector

I went hunting with my brother and my nephews this morning. We boogered it but had fun. Birds were gobbling good. We left at 8:30, because we knew it was over and nephew needed to be at work around 10am. I took the morning 1/2 off so I figured still a lot of time. It started drizzling and I was going to go to public and check fields, but for whatever reason, I thought maybe go check the one field on the private I have. The thing is only part of the field is on the land I can access, so you can see a bird but he has to come through a barb wire fence then in some to shoot. I get there and low and behold a lone Tom is strutting on the next property. I set up in the woods and called. He'd gobble and strut but wouldn't Budge. It would thunder he'd gobble, I'd call, gobble. He started feeding away and I figured where he was headed, but I had to make a huge loop to get there. It was coming down by now and I was soaked. I get to spot #2 and he's 75-80 in front of me. I get set up, call once, he gobbled, but I knew that would be my last time calling as I was really wet now and do we're my pots and strikers. I'm no good with mouth calls. FINALLY he started working my way. He came on to the property but hung up for at least 10-15 minutes. Then he'd move 5-10 yds. Finally he got to 45yds but my scope was fogged and wet. I managed to wipe the fog but it was still wet. I put it on him and boom... miss. He jumped up and then did something unexpected, he ran 5-10 yds closer. The second shot was on the money. I guess God decided I had suffered enough and this was my bird. 2 hours of sitting in the rain. Bird looked like trash and I had to get to work so I cut him up. I took pics of beard and Spurs.
7" beard(short I know)
1" and 1 1/16" Spurs.

Attachments

• 02DEA3AC-62F5-45B3-9280-D4BD5B744B53.jpeg
    02DEA3AC-62F5-45B3-9280-D4BD5B744B53.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80

Bone Collector

Congratulations. Depending on your pot call surface, a plastic peg works wet. 😉
I know and have an enticer that is designed for wet weather. The issue is I looked at the forecast Tuesday night. 9% chance of rain... then Wednesday morning forecast changes to 57% and boom down pore. I had my Crystal Mistress. I have a wet striker, but it is tough to get to work on anything other than that enticer.

I was literally drenched. I felt like I took a hour long shower in my gear.