Binocular power opinion

Moonman

Looking to spend a couple gift cards I got for Christmas. Really hoping to get some binocs this year as I have a cheap pair I have been using. I normally hunt fields that are under 300 yards and mostly woods with a mix of hardwoods and thick stuf with only a compound bowf. I've got roughly 300 dollars to spend and was looking at vortex diamondbacks. For my hunting areas I'm debating on the 8x42 or 10x42 and any inout would be appreciated.

LanceS4803

Optics Plant has the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 for $229.
Use code "15DEALS" and get another 15% off, with no shipping cost. Total of $195.
Ends Wednesday.

PillsburyDoughboy

There are a TON of Good Binos out there in the $200 catagory.

Ive tried to buy into this HYpe of Vortex optics but dollar for dollar they just do not stack up.

Leupold has the same warranty and are by far better optics when comparing apples to oranges.

I looked hard at these comparted to the Vortex earlier in the season and they blew the doors off the Vortex.

http://www.sportsmanslogistics.com/leup ... oof-moinf/

Get the Binos out of the showroom floor into the field where light transmission and clarity count and you will see the differenece. Artificial light is no place to be judging optics.

PillsburyDoughboy

And back to the original question. I like 8x42 for Eastern Woods hunting. I prefer 10x42 for open terrian or Western Hunts.

Jon54

Go to B&H Photo and ck out Vanguard 10x45's. These originally sold for $500 but I just bought a pair for $260 delivered. B&H is a very reputable camera store used by many pros.

A lot of people say that you can't hold 10 power steady but I don't have any problem. Vanguard has been in the camera biz for a while and recently ventured into other optics. These are very clear and bright. I love buying products that are being replaced by newer versions because you can get killer deals. This is a killer deal on great glass. Fully coated.

TboneD

While I feel like my 8 power Steiners have plenty magnification for hunting, my next binoculars will be 10 power. If anything, I'm pretty sure a little more magnification will help in checking out the oaks while preseason scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PillsburyDoughboy

Tbone.

How old are your Stieners and which model do you have?

Stieners are not bad binos. I own a few pair myself. I do think there is far better glass out there for the money.

I might suggest before you go jumping up to a 10X that you compare your Stieners to some of the newer 8X binos out there. For most Easter Woods hunting 8x far superior in most respects to 10X.

Alot of it depends on what type of hunting you do. I would much rather have a wider field of view and the steadiness off 8x than a little more power .

TboneD

PillsburyDoughboy":2iefjhco said:
Tbone.

Stieners are not bad binos. I own a few pair myself. I do think there is far better glass out there for the money.

I might suggest before you go jumping up to a 10X that you compare your Stieners to some of the newer 8X binos out there. For most Easter Woods hunting 8x far superior in most respects to 10X.

Alot of it depends on what type of hunting you do. I would much rather have a wider field of view and the steadiness off 8x than a little more power .

Just the military marine 8x30 with "sports auto focus". Please tell me what you think, but it just occured to me that why I have such a hard time with these when checking out the oak tops in early Autumn might not be any better if they were 10x. The problem is probably more the "sports auto focus" as opposed to the 8x vs. 10x. Right?

PillsburyDoughboy

TboneD":c0mcb951 said:
PillsburyDoughboy":c0mcb951 said:
Tbone.

Just the military marine 8x30 with "sports auto focus". Please tell me what you think, but it just occured to me that why I have such a hard time with these when checking out the oak tops in early Autumn might not be any better if they were 10x. The problem is probably more the "sports auto focus" as opposed to the 8x vs. 10x. Right?

I had a pair of these. I sold them. They are simply not the best optic quality going for the money.

I Compared the Leupold Acadia in 8x 42 recently to SEVERAL optics in its class. The Leupold is a very good value for the money spent. It will truly blow the doors off your Steiners. I would take your steiners to the shop when you go and compare. As the clerks if they will let you step outside near dark to do a true comparison. Artificial light is very deceiving. Many of the Optics company knows that 90% of Optic selection is done in a showroom under artificial light and will tweak the optics for best performance in those lighting conditions.

A little more money but a step up from the Leupold are the Nikon 7294 Monarch ATB 8x42 Binocular. Selling for about $275 most places. I have seen them cheaper.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/binocul ... inoculars/

PillsburyDoughboy

LanceS4803":2t37xk1e said:
Optics Plant has the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 for $229.
Use code "15DEALS" and get another 15% off, with no shipping cost. Total of $195.
Ends Wednesday.
Our Local Dicks Sporting goods had them for $179 on closeout. They also had the Leupold BX-1 McKenzies for $189. It a no brainer which one i would pick The Leupolds are much clearer in low light situation and give a more natural image. The Vortex look good under artificial light because they manipulate the coating to produce that effect.

Right now Amazon has the Leupold BX-1 McKenzies on sale for $142 and free shipping. It don't get much better than that for entry level Binos or even good binos for that matter.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NEOBQ6G/ref ... B00NEOBQ6G

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

PillsburyDoughboy

Pretty sweet deal on some ED Binos as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F2LM0VO?psc=1

Saw where Nikon has announced they are backing off the 25 year warranty and going back to the lifetime no fault warranty on Binos. Good News as Nikon generally represents Binos very well and are generally a little cheaper in price than Leupold.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mike Belt

Something to consider besides magnification is weight. I prefer the compacts simply because I always carry them and they're lighter and smaller. I've seen certain instances where I wish I had the heavier, higher magnification binocs but overall I'm pleased with the compacts. I use Swarovski.

TNRifleman

I have the 8x32 Virtex Diamondbacks and have owned the 10x42 Diamondbacks before switching to the 10x42 Vipers. They are both fantastic and the 8x32 are really good if you need to carry them very far. Really light weight but still excellent quality. If I could only have one pair I would go with 10x42 but that's just me.

Latest posts