Big changes from the meeting today

Setterman

Not a fan of Turkey hunting, but I feel this is a personal government over reach. If that bird is on my land I should be able to kill it for my dinner table. Will they ban shooting 70 lbs doe next or make you wait on a 100 lbs doe ?? State land I live with my property not in agreement!
Damn this is a stupid comment. Sorry to be so blunt, but the critters on your property don't belong to you. They belong to every single person occupying this state, whether they hunt or not. You didn't stock those birds, or raise them from poults. Sure they live and/or spend time on your property but are free to come and go as they choose. What's next you get to decide if you want to kill one in August because it's on your land.

Wrangler95

I like the changes of lowering limit to 2 gobblers and starting the season two weeks later but unclear about the trapping of racoons and possums.Can we now trap for these year round?

dhpro

[QUOTE
Damn this is a stupid comment. Sorry to be so blunt, but the critters on your property don't belong to you. They belong to every single person occupying this state, whether they hunt or not. You didn't stock those birds, or raise them from poults. Sure they live and/or spend time on your property but are free to come and go as they choose. What's next you get to decide if you want to kill one in August because it's on your land.
="Setterman, post: 5361264, member: 8139"]
[/QUOTE]
I understand what your saying and You can do what you want with your property but the game belongs to all of us!!
You can kill all you want with a depredation permit if you farm.Otherwise, the animals on YOUR land are not YOURS. They belong to the citizens of the state, even if you are managing and feeding them. If you want to kill every male on your place, you can still do it legally... just have to take your family members or friends to do all the killing except for your 2.Or you can contact one of the outfitters in the state and let them bring clients and I bet they would be happy to pay you $250 per bird they kill. You can buy a lot of domestic turkey for $250. The going rate to landowners in south FL is $1000 per bird. While I don't expect Easterns to bring that anytime soon, I wouldn't expect $500 per bird to be out of the question in a few more years in TN.
You can kill all you want with a depredation permit if you farm.Otherwise, the animals on YOUR land are not YOURS. They belong to the citizens of the state, even if you are managing and feeding them. If you want to kill every male on your place, you can still do it legally... just have to take your family members or friends to do all the killing except for your 2.Or you can contact one of the outfitters in the state and let them bring clients and I bet they would be happy to pay you $250 per bird they kill. You can buy a lot of domestic turkey for $250. The going rate to landowners in south FL is $1000 per bird. While I don't expect Easterns to bring that anytime soon, I wouldn't expect $500 per bird to be out of the question in a few more years in TN.
Apparently your not understanding what I'm saying. I don't give a yugo if there's a Turkey in USA I don't care if there's 500 on every hector of ground. What I do get upset with is starting spots . What's next??!! Too much government look what that idiot is trying to do in the White House. 9mm it's a start!!! We're one generation away from a country like England where not everyone can hunt only land owners and PH walking us around saying yes shoot him , don't shoot him !! I'm all for laws just saying this will spill over to other game . Got the few that want it this way but the silent majority!! Outfitters now that's what we need a season on !! Guys like you are why my people don't let lots people hunt there land anymore. I can tell what little I've read were not going to agree this is where 2 idiots meet and I happen to be the wiser this one time
No dumb ass ! Not what I'm saying. You want a argument that's fine , all I'm saying is they should not tell me I can't take 2 jake off my land . It's a starting spot for there control. Yes when they are on me they are mine when not nope not mine . I can't help you don't agree with me but o well that's why I have opinion. My opinion is I actually don't give a shot

timberjack86

[QUOTE

Like I said the game does not belong to you, they belong to all of us. That's the Poachers mind set. It's mine all mine and no one can tell me what to do!

BigRod

[QUOTE

No dumb ass ! Not what I'm saying. You want a argument that's fine , all I'm saying is they should not tell me I can't take 2 jake off my land . It's a starting spot for there control. Yes when they are on me they are mine when not nope not mine . I can't help you don't agree with me but o well that's why I have opinion. My opinion is I actually don't give a shot
[/QUOTE]
You have a huge pair of balls to call him a dumb ass, not attacking you but I've had the honor of hunting with setterman. He's a great guy and even better hunter. He has a strict set of morals he follows when chasin turkeys. No decoys, reaping. From my observations he's an aggressive hunter at that, VERY AGGRESSIVE. just because he don't agree with you, YOU dint have to start the name callin.

Now when $#!t hits the fan, and it's all for ourselves, it's free game to feed your family! Heck hunter over corn if you have to. Therefore don't get butt hurt when your neighbor is killing "your" birds that you've seen on YOUR property. Like every other animal, they migrate. It's just being in the right place at the right time kinda thing. Again I'm not bashing/attacking you just trying to make you see his point better.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
[QUOTE

Apparently your not understanding what I'm saying. I don't give a **** if there's a Turkey in USA I don't care if there's 500 on every hector of ground. What I do get upset with is starting spots . What's next??!! Too much government look what that idiot is trying to do in the White House. 9mm it's a start!!! We're one generation away from a country like England where not everyone can hunt only land owners and PH walking us around saying yes shoot him , don't shoot him !! I'm all for laws just saying this will spill over to other game . Got the few that want it this way but the silent majority!! Outfitters now that's what we need a season on !! Guys like you are why my people don't let lots people hunt there land anymore. I can tell what little I've read were not going to agree this is where 2 idiots meet and I happen to be the wiser this one time
[/QUOTE]

If you don't care then why comment? Why work yourself up if you truly don't care? Guess what your property is borrowed for the time being. Someone else will own it one day. You as a sportsman/land owner should want to leave it better then you found it. I think in time everyone will be happy with the new regs.

Setterman

[QUOTE

Apparently your not understanding what I'm saying. I don't give a **** if there's a Turkey in USA I don't care if there's 500 on every hector of ground. What I do get upset with is starting spots . What's next??!! Too much government look what that idiot is trying to do in the White House. 9mm it's a start!!! We're one generation away from a country like England where not everyone can hunt only land owners and PH walking us around saying yes shoot him , don't shoot him !! I'm all for laws just saying this will spill over to other game . Got the few that want it this way but the silent majority!! Outfitters now that's what we need a season on !! Guys like you are why my people don't let lots people hunt there land anymore. I can tell what little I've read were not going to agree this is where 2 idiots meet and I happen to be the wiser this one time
[/QUOTE]

You're making giant non sensical leaps. Guess what? game agencies have been telling us all for generations what we can and can't kill on our own lands since the days of market hunting went extinct. Prior to these regs we damn near eliminated most game animals through the exact greed you're expressing now.

The comparison of the idiots in Washington and their gun control push and game laws is laughable. Your pistol is indeed your pistol. The game on your land is a shared resource. It's just that simple

squirrel_hunter

How has this same strategy worked for Arkansas?
Hasnt!! Arkansas waited to late !! We went from shorter season. No fall season. No bearded hens no jakes. Season starting 2 weeks later. Only kill 1 turkey the first 7 days. But we are still allow 2 turkeys . On public land i think i would come closer seeing bigfoot. Than a longbeard gobbling. Last day of season i had 5 jakes less than 20 yards. Turkey hunting here got so bad. I stopped turkey hunting for 4 years. Got back in it because my wife likes to turkey hunting. I do think no bearded hen and no fall season has helped a little.

Spurhunter

You're making giant non sensical leaps. Guess what? game agencies have been telling us all for generations what we can and can't kill on our own lands since the days of market hunting went extinct. Prior to these regs we damn near eliminated most game animals through the exact greed you're expressing now. The comparison of the idiots in Washington and their gun control push and game laws is laughable. Your pistol is indeed your pistol. The game on your land is a shared resource. It's just that simple
Well said.

TheLBLman

I applaud the changes TWRA is making to our statewide turkey regulations.

Everyone needs to understand that the hunting regs are just one of many factors effecting whether ongoing turkey populations decline or flourish. And, as to any reg changes, the effects may not best noticed until 2 years after the change(s).

Most of us seem to be in agreement that the biggest single change done was to delay the opening by 2 weeks next spring (Year 2023). This will cause only a small percentage of longbeards (2-yr-old males) to survive another year to Year 2024. But it's also expected to enhance nesting success by at least a small percentage. It will be 2 years (Year 2025) before any additional hatched chicks this year become "longbeards".

Similarly, reducing the bag limit from 3 to 2 birds will cause only a small percentage of longbeards to survive another year to Year 2024. While some killing 3 will be reduced to 2, others killing 1 will increase to 2, while some who would have killed 0, will now kill one. But reducing the limit is still expected to cause additional carry-over, meaning, from this alone, at least a few more longbeards living in 2024 than otherwise would have been.

Regulations are ultimately only as good as their enforcement. This is one reason the delayed opening covers everything (at least during those 2 weeks), making everything on our "wish list" more easily enforced. Those 2 weeks are the 2 weeks when decoys & fanning would work best. Just pointing out that the total use of decoys & fanning was just made illegal during what was the 1st 2 weeks of our spring season.

I've very excited to be able now to trap bobcats year round, as I believe they have caused more adult turkey deaths than any other predator, particularly strutting longbeards.

As to why they extended the season 2 weeks, I believe it was mainly to be able to say no days were taken away from our spring turkey season. I do not believe there will be very many non-resident turkey hunters coming to TN in late May next year. Also, public WMA's can independently close their seasons @ mid-May. If they don't do this in 2023, they certainly can in 2024.

Again, while they didn't specifically outlaw decoys & fanning on private lands, these tactics worked best during those 2 weeks, now the 2 weeks they simply totally outlawed turkey hunting. Personally, I never felt these tactics worked a fraction as well as "advertised" or believed by many, but I don't see them working much at all come those new last two weeks of turkey season.

So when you put all the changes together, synergize them over a couple years, then I do believe most hunters will be noticing turkey populations trending more towards thriving. And what becomes "better" is not just about the number of kills, but the overall quality of the hunting, such as what do you hear & see while hunting. I'm looking forward to hearing more gobbling.

That said, Mother Nature could deliver the turkeys a blow with two consecutive years of poor nesting success and poor poult survival. Should this happen, we need to focus on how much worse it could have been had TWRA NOT made these very helpful changes.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Meanwhile, the #1 single factor in turkey predation goes unaddressed.
Talking about predation by hawks, owls, eagles, and yes, even crows.
Although I don't believe there is anything TWRA could do about this
any more than they could change the weather.

This same factor (raptor predation) may have been the #1 single factor in the now near extinction of
statewide bobwhite quail. It is the only single uniform factor on a statewide basis.

the real question is how bad would Arkansas be now if they had NOT implemented any changes a few years ago.
Good Point, Worth Repeating.
Until we hit full extinction, it always could have been worse if . . . . . . . . . .

Latest posts