Better blood trails?

bvoss55

I've been shooting 100 grains 777 pellets and the TC 250 grain Spitfires Out of a CVA Optima v2 for a few years. The blood trails I was getting were weak so I ended up switching to a Barnes 250 grain TMZ. They seem just as accurate but I'm wondering if I'd have better blood trails if I upped the charge to 150 or swapped to loose 777. Also would like to be able to shoot it consistently out to 150 yds or so. Thoughts or experiences you've had with a similar situation?

GMB54

3 pellets is a bit extreme and costly to shoot. I would try some Triple7 FFG or FFFG if you just want to try another T7 product. Its cheaper and 100gr load of loose will give you a little more speed than 2 pellets. Cant say its gunna make a world of difference in the blood trail. Pellets dont age well unless you are very meticulous about air tight storage.

ROVERBOY

I agree with GMB54, try 100 gr. loose Triple 7 and see how that does. I would think the Barnes would do better. Good luck.

iowavf

I think the Barnes will give you a better chance of a pass through or at least that's what I found out compared to SST's, but I'm shooting a 45 cal too. Shot placement can also determine a good or bad blood trail. Need to see what the drop is when zeroed in at 100 and shooting at 150 yards with 2 pellets versus 3 pellets. I've always shot 3 pellets and now use 120 gr volume of BH. My ml was accurate and had tight groups with that load and the yardage dot on the scope was dead on if zeroed at a 100, then use the dots for 150 and 200 yards. Where my blind use to be one trail was 185 yards and the other was 150 yards.

MickThompson

Were you shooting spitfires or shockwaves? TC doesn't make a spitfire- that's a Barnes product. 100 gr should be plenty of powder for reliable pass throughs on anything besides head on or dead away shots. If you're getting pass through already, shot placement will help blood trails more than anything.

GMB54

Shot placement can make a huge difference in blood trail even if both shots were absolutely lethal. Ive always been on the side of...."two holes are better than one". No lungs, no heart and they dont suffer long. Ive seen some fairly good runs with a heart that looked like a bomb went off but never lost a deer hit like that.

Jcalder

If you want a better blood trail shoot a hollow point. I used hornady xtp for years and killed plenty and always had a blood trail. Can't say the same for the tmz from Barnes but Barnes does make a hollow point and I've seen the results. It was impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMB54

I prefer the Barnes Expander MZ or XPBs with the big hollow points. Ive yet to see them fail to do the deed. Under 150yards you dont really need them perty little pointy bullets.

bvoss55

Thanks for the replies and info! The ones I was shooting were the TC Shockwaves, not Spitfires. Sorry.

The ones I'm shooting now are the Barnes TMZ Spitfires I believe. Do y'all typically wait for broadside or quartering away shots like you would a bow?

I know I shot one a couple years back with the Shockwaves that was quartering to me and I ended up having to chase him down and shoot him two more times to finish him off. That's the one that got me looking at the Barnes bullets.

MickThompson

Any shot through the shoulder with a cup and core bullet like a shockwave is risky and the shoulder covers a lot of lung when a deer is quartering to. I much prefer a broadside or quartering away shot. If I'm a little back, there's still a liver and a diaphragm to take out. Too far forward on a quartering to deer is brisket and maybe the offside shoulder.

Jcalder

MickThompson":29k295or said:
Any shot through the shoulder with a cup and core bullet like a shockwave is risky and the shoulder covers a lot of lung when a deer is quartering to. I much prefer a broadside or quartering away shot. If I'm a little back, there's still a liver and a diaphragm to take out. Too far forward on a quartering to deer is brisket and maybe the offside shoulder.
I didn't shoot many shockwaves but I've heard the lead in them is fairly hard not allowing reliable expansion. The only problems I ever had with an xtp was jacket/core separation but it didn't matter where you hit them, they expanded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson

I guess what I was getting at is I wouldn't set out to shoot a deer with a muzzleloader when it's standing such that the bullet has to pass directly through a shoulder to get to the heart and lungs. I also don't like shooting through a shoulder if I can avoid it because it tears up so much meat.

mike243

Bad blood trails are due to high shots or gut shots or leg wounds that don't hit any major vessels imo, most will be high shots in the lungs, had some runners with shockwaves shooting lungs

bvoss55

Put one of the 250 grain Barnes TMZ bullets to work this weekend. Had my oldest boy with me so it was a great time as he got to follow the blood trail. The bullet performed really well! Opened up perfectly. Quartering to. Bullet went in just behind the shoulder And ended up against the hide on the opposit side. Great blood trail!

Attachments

• D1D8E683-1E5A-4760-B75E-B8C866B58669.jpeg
    D1D8E683-1E5A-4760-B75E-B8C866B58669.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,119

bvoss55

Barnes 250grain TMZ with two 777 pellets.

Attachments

• A231854B-F53B-4D67-8274-B3944DCD0065.jpeg
    A231854B-F53B-4D67-8274-B3944DCD0065.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,112

BuckDoeHunter

Nice buck! I've never had a Barnes muzzleloader bullet let me down, I've seen sparse blood trails with them but that was from higher placed shots

451LRML

Heavier bullets will give you better blood trails.
I've never recovered a heavy lead conical, pass thru with a larger exit hole from the HP expansion - to 300yds. I've never attempted to shot a deer past that.
Heavy as in 500gr in a 45, 50 or 52cal - even with Muzzle velocities around 1300fps.
Old technology that still works very well.
You may not wish to go to 500gr - just always go heavier.