Better Deer Hunting Bullet 250gr or 300gr 100load.

Mr_TTT2

Last year shot deer using powerbelt aerolites 250 100load, majority of bullet fragmented out and didn't get pass through. This year I'm trying a 300gr same 100load. My question is, will the heavy bullet penetrate deeper before fragmentation and pass through? I know this is more of question of energy vs weight vs load, but I didn't know if anyone had experience with these bullets. I don't think these bullets keep their original weights as others do. Ideally, I want pass through to allow better blood trails. The 250gr was great in one regard, it was like a shotgun spread inside of deer, so basically hit allot of organs, deer didn't run far.

jakeway

I've been following these types of threads for years, and the overwhelming majority opinion is to not use Powerbelts. My brothers have had several very tough tracking jobs when using Powerbelts; poor blood trails, long distances traveled, and sometimes they never found the deer.

Personally I've settled on the Hornady Low Drag SST 250 gr. I've tried 240, 250, and 300 gr Hornady XTP and XTP Mag, and they performed well on both paper and deer, but I found the 250 gr SST just a bit Better. I think the longest tracking job I've had with any of the Hornady bullets has been about 30 yards, with lots of blood. In fact, the deer in my signature pic was that "long" tracking job.

Grill-n-man

Same as what was said about these type of threads over the last several years. Yes many say that Powerbelts are junk, but I've killed several with the 245 and 295 hollow points with 98% being graveyard dead before they hit the ground. The aero tip ones I don't care for for 2 reasons 1) never could get them to shoot and 2) I think the tip is to hard. I've tried pulling them out with pliers only to have them break off. I've killed em with buffalo bullets, Hornady XTPs And SSTs, power belts, and knight's Bloodline. All may not have had the magical pass thru with the blood trail any one could follow, but what they all have had in common is graveyard dead before they hit the ground or within 40yds. Got one gun I got last year that I'm shooting 285gr Barnes in but haven't shot one yet to see what it's going to do. If it don't do graveyard dead then the Barnes are gone. I personally don't give 2 hoots if a bullet passes through and leaves a blood trail a blind man can follow. What I do care about is how quickly it kills. Never have been able to understand the fascination of wanting to shoot a bullet that leaves good blood for 200yds instead of one that kills quickly. I have no interest in shooting a deer at 60yds then have to track it another 200. When choosing a bullet it would seem one would want the most accurate one can get while also being able to the get job done very quickly. A bullet that shoots a 2" group at 200yards but allows the animal to run off and take hundreds of yards to die is not worthy over one that can only hold its groupings out to say 125 but ends it where it stands. But we all have our personal likes and mine is graveyard dead not tracking for a mile. So in short you have to determine what your after and the bullet that best serves the purpose of a quick kill.

Jcalder

Grill-n-man":2343g6ir said:
Same as what was said about these type of threads over the last several years. Yes many say that Powerbelts are junk, but I've killed several with the 245 and 295 hollow points with 98% being graveyard dead before they hit the ground. The aero tip ones I don't care for for 2 reasons 1) never could get them to shoot and 2) I think the tip is to hard. I've tried pulling them out with pliers only to have them break off. I've killed em with buffalo bullets, Hornady XTPs And SSTs, power belts, and knight's Bloodline. All may not have had the magical pass thru with the blood trail any one could follow, but what they all have had in common is graveyard dead before they hit the ground or within 40yds. Got one gun I got last year that I'm shooting 285gr Barnes in but haven't shot one yet to see what it's going to do. If it don't do graveyard dead then the Barnes are gone. I personally don't give 2 hoots if a bullet passes through and leaves a blood trail a blind man can follow. What I do care about is how quickly it kills. Never have been able to understand the fascination of wanting to shoot a bullet that leaves good blood for 200yds instead of one that kills quickly. I have no interest in shooting a deer at 60yds then have to track it another 200. When choosing a bullet it would seem one would want the most accurate one can get while also being able to the get job done very quickly. A bullet that shoots a 2" group at 200yards but allows the animal to run off and take hundreds of yards to die is not worthy over one that can only hold its groupings out to say 125 but ends it where it stands. But we all have our personal likes and mine is graveyard dead not tracking for a mile. So in short you have to determine what your after and the bullet that best serves the purpose of a quick kill.
I don't think anyone wants to track a wounded animal very far. We'd love to have everything hit the ground where they stood. But for the ones that don't a blood trail is a must. Having kids getting started hunting and you'll be thankful for one.

I shot XTPs for years once I got away from a sidelock muzzleloader. Some dropped on the spot and others had a short trail to follow. Was always impressed by them. I did have one deer that went way farther than expected. Two blood trails. Once I found the deer I'm not sure I should have done anything different. Shot was perfect. But had I not had a blood trail I wouldn't have found her.

My disdain for the powerbelts is based off the many others that lost deer using them. I've personally never used them but there's enough reviews out there for me to not want to. From doing several searches most people say they shoot good. But on game they're just plain unreliable.

I have used Barnes the last few years. I know for sure 2 dropped where they stood. I shot another that I had to track. Good blood trail. But I lost it a few times in the overgrown field. If I was shooting 100 yards and under I would use their big hollow point. I've seen several examples of those and they done plenty of damage. I used the tmz line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

Back towards Tndeer's beginning I kept a season long survey on muzzleloader kills, the bullets used, and the recovery rates. I wish I had kept it but I didn't. Anyway... I shot Power Belts at the time and for a while afterwards. I was very impressed with their accuracy. Over the year's that I shot them almost every deer I shot either dropped on the spot or never made it over 50 yards. I'm not one for squeezing the trigger hoping for a hit and I only take a killing shot so I never really was faced with a marginal hit. The thing about those bullets in my experience along with many others that shot them was that they fail to pass completely through the deer. Sometimes even with a perfectly placed shot a deer may run. On marginal shots that likelihood increases. Either way and depending on the surrounding terrain and cover, you're likely going to have to do some trailing. Without a pass through and considering most shots are taken at a downward angle the entrance hole from the bullet is not likely to leave a blood trail at the very least for some distance. As mentioned, I never faced this problem but because the potential was there for possibly losing a deer some time in the future I quit shooting PBs and switched back over to Barnes. I don't think they're quite as accurate but they flat SLAM a deer and I get the pass through shot I want. They're are other good bullet choices as well but I like Barnes.

Grill-n-man

Can't disagree with that. But personally I experienced good results from Power belts. Yes I had several that didn't pass through and of those only maybe 2 ran. Furthest may have made it 40yds. The bullets work but they are not up to everyone's liking. Saying they're junk and pathetic blood trail is just like the topics about if you don't shoot a Rage then you shooting junk. I don't shoot them now for 2 reasons 1) my guns I have now don't like em and 2) the Knight Bloodlines get em to the grave yard better

That's all and to the OP if your gun will shoot them go with the heavier choice.

Jcalder

Grill-n-man":lh2lakmx said:
Can't disagree with that. But personally I experienced good results from Power belts. Yes I had several that didn't pass through and of those only maybe 2 ran. Furthest may have made it 40yds. The bullets work but they are not up to everyone's liking. Saying they're junk and pathetic blood trail is just like the topics about if you don't shoot a Rage then you shooting junk. I don't shoot them now for 2 reasons 1) my guns I have now don't like em and 2) the Knight Bloodlines get em to the grave yard better

That's all and to the OP if your gun will shoot them go with the heavier choice.
isn't the bloodlines the same bullet as the Barnes expander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUP

Heck, I shoot 260 gr lead conicals, no copper jacket, just a lead projectile with a sabot, and they're accurate out to my max distance of 100 yds for where I hunt. I was never able to get the few PB's I tried to group well. As long as I've done my job with a well placed shot, those lead bullets have mushroomed perfectly and did what they were supposed to, killing the deer. I've had to track a few, but had some drop drt as well. I don't shoot over 100 yds tho, so I don't need aero tipped slick bullets to do what I need, just a wallop in the vitals. :)

451LRML

Jcalder":2l219jre said:
isn't the bloodlines the same bullet as the Barnes expander
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Actually, bloodlines are brass and designed to come apart and the Barnes Exp are solid Cooper with a nice large HP!

I personally only shoot lead conicals. Ones I make and cast..

Hunter 257W

I decided to go with a cast bullet for my muzzle loader last season. This Lee 310 grain 44 bullet was my choice because of it's shape and weight. That big flat nose (or meplate for bullet casters) transfers energy fast and should drop deer better than the same bullet would if it were a round nose. It also punches a caliber size permanent hole through an animal better. The 310 grain weight assures plenty of penetration on a deer. I'm casting them 50% clip on wheel weights and 50% pure lead so they are soft enough to expand at the lower velocities I'm getting with two 50 grain pellets of 777. I figure velocity is something like 1,600 ft/sec. I didn't get a deer with the ML last year so didn't get to test it out except on paper. Hopefully that'll change in November this year.

Of course I'm shooting it inside a sabot without the gas check. :)

Attachments

• Lee 430-310.jpg
    Lee 430-310.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 2,979

MUP

Good looking boolit! I may cast some more up for my hunting this season as well. I learned the first time that using just wheel weights was a no go. I'll be mixing in some pure lead from now on. I did kill a buck with my first cast bullet(s), but it took two shots, as the first shot shattered in the shoulder, putting him down but not out. Had to walk him down and finish him off. Lesson learned.

Hunter 257W

I had read similar results for pure clip on wheel weights as you experienced MUP. That's why i was surprised when I 1st did gallon water jug tests with pure WW bullets in full power 35 Remington loads. AT both 20 and 100 yards I had double caliber expansion and near 100% weight retention. I suspect the widely varying results are due to variations in WW alloy content. I still think it's wise to mix in pure lead and Tin as required for fill-out to avoid a brittle bullet as much as possible. Hope you get one with cast this year and post results.

muddyboots

When powerbelts came out 2 buddies and myself decided to try them. Shot great so took them hunting. Opening morning we tracked 3 bucks for miles. Never found either. We all 3 can shoot very well so they were shot in the kill zone. We Whirley birdied the rest of them bullets out thru the woods and switched 2 Barnes. Haven't lost any sense. Barnes imo is the best muzzle bullet made. I have gotten the Barnes to shoot amazing groups so that's what I recommend. 95 grains triple 777 245 grain Barnes mz bullets. Dead deer every time.

Latest posts