No blood trail

swd

I had a good morning this past Saturday. I had my first double and almost limited out on does for the day in the CWD zone. Three shots fired from my new CVA Optima V2. I am shooting 100 grains of Hodgdon Triple 7 pellets with 250 gr. Powerbelt Aerolites.

First deer came out at around 100 yards walking away. She turned broadside at about 140 yards, and I fired. The smoke was thick and hung. I did not see the deer move at all. She was in the middle of a bushhogged lane cut in a CRP field. I hoped she had dropped right in her tracks, but that hope was soon shattered. This was right around 7:30. I decided I would wait until 8:30 and get down to see what happened.

Just before 8:30 things got a little crazy. Had a doe and fawn come out of the CRP into the same lane I shot at the doe earlier. They worked straight to me until they got to around 80 yards. The doe turned broadside. I fired. She took a few steps to my right into the CRP then came back out into the lane. She took a few more steps and fell belly up. I sat for a few seconds and decided to reload. As I was loading, another doe walked out 2 lanes over. She was very calm, so I took my time, aimed, and fired. She hunched up and took off into the CRP she came from. I saw he jump easily 5 feet once then nothing else. I watched the lanes on either side of the CRP to see if she came out headed for the woods for about 10 minutes. Nothing. The only other options were that she was laying up in the CRP or she ran a couple hundred yards back up to the other end into the woods there.

One of my best friends was hunting his farm about 20 minutes away. He was done for the morning since the wind had switched up on him. I asked if he had time to come down and help me search. I got down around 9:00 and walked out to the sites of the first and third shots. No blood, no hair, no sign. I got my stuff together and went back to the gate to wait on my buddy. We got back in there after 9:30 and started grid searching. Absolutely no sign of the first deer. Never found a drop of blood or a hair. We looked on both sides of the lane and on the far end of it. I can only hope it was a clean miss. Then we started looking for the third deer. Same thing. No blood, no hair, nothing. I had a little more to go on because I did see her after the shot and at least knew she had stayed in the CRP. We started gridding it out. I had given up after about an hour and began to doubt what I thought I saw. I looked over at my buddy to see that he was still searching hard. So I decided to keep walking and praying. I took maybe another 5 steps, and there she was, belly up. It turned out that she was within 40 yards of the point of impact and probably died less than 30 seconds after I pulled the trigger. That CRP and no trail made it almost impossible to find her. Both kills were complete pass throughs with very little expansion.

I have only killed half a dozen deer with the muzzleloader. Only 1 dropped where shot. One really had a substantial blood trail. The others were all mediocre to no blood trails. My friend that came out to help Saturday has nearly 40 years experience with muzzleloaders and lamented that this is a common issue with them.

What do you all think? Do I need to bump up to 150 grains of powder? Different bullets? Just accept that this is the world of "primitive" weapons? Thanks for reading all of this!

MUP

Different bullets IMO. I've really not heard many say good things about the power belts. I shoot a 260 gr lead bullet in a sabot and have retrieved a couple of them before and they were nicely mushroomed, and dead deer within sight of where they were shot.

Jcalder

Powerbelts are terrible for the reason you just described. I personally liked the xtp when I shot a traditional muzzleloader. Good blood trails, fairly inexpensive and they just plain worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHRIS WILSON

I'd go with a different bullet. I didn't have good experiences with Powerbelts either. Best exit wounds and blood trails I've ever had was with a simple, 410 gr, flat point, lead conical. Never failed to go in one side and out the other. When I switched to saboted bullets, the Barnes expander series have produced good exit wounds from season to season

Pic IN the Casa

I switched from PB's to Hornady 300g SST's and actually while accuracy improved greatly I still haven't had good blood trails and a couple of deer were shoulder shot and the round exited the belly.

mike243

sounds like shot placement to me, I like the 295g PB , I shoot smokeless now but never a lost deer with the PB. shoot low lungs/heart and most of the time they drop in their tracks, a high shot with any has to fill the cavity up with blood before you get a good trail. low velocity will cause pass thru/low expansion on any bullets and the lighter bullets will lose steam quicker

ROVERBOY

I've heard about problems with PB bullets too. The worst I've had was with Shockwaves. I can't get expansion unless a neck or shoulder shot.

tnanh

I gave all my powerbelts away without ever shooting a deer with them because of all the bad stuff I read about them. I now shoot a 250 grain Barnes Expander and have been very happy with the results. I also killed a lot of deer with an old patch and ball solid piece of lead back when shooting sidelocks and with Hornady great plains bullets in a Remington in line. Sometimes the old simple tried and true is the way to go but everyone I know who has shot powerbelts has had problems at one time or another.

FrontierGander

Sounds like your bullet ran outta steam. I also notice you didnt mention the location where the bullet hit. Hunching up normally means a gut or liver shot.

110gr bh209, 80gr yard shot, 250gr powerbelt aerolite.

All i found left

FrontierGander

Also. just a little bit larger, is the 300gr powerbelt aerolite,100gr bh209 at 140-146 yards on an ELK.

Same load on a mule deer doe at 40-50 yards i believe it was. These are the exit holes.

GMB54

Sounds like the 250gr Aerolite came apart like a varmint bullet on impact. Very little remained to pass through. 2 holes leak more blood than 1. Its not rocket science. Cant imagine why anyone would pay that kinda cash for a bullet that performs worse than bullets in a similar price range?

These Barnes cost me about a buck a pop full retail in bulk. They give you 2 big holes pretty much every time. No lead shrapnel in my meat.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010409543
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010403667
mkMkWNZ.jpg

Exit side---------Entrance side
jNvRAVX.jpg

swd

FrontierGander":3e0s21kn said:
Sounds like your bullet ran outta steam. I also notice you didnt mention the location where the bullet hit. Hunching up normally means a gut or liver shot.

The one that fell dead on the spot entered the front of the shoulder and exited back a bit on the opposite shoulder. She was quartering to slightly. The one that I found in the CRP was hit high in the lungs on entry and exited center lung opposite side. I was in a 10' elevated blind.

Attachments

• pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,986

FrontierGander

man that shot placement is just terrible. You're lucky you even recovered them. Of course there was no blood. Super high up shots. With that, its a learning lesson where you will have to adjust your point of aim from that stand.

MickThompson

FrontierGander":384y8oap said:
man that shot placement is just terrible. You're lucky you even recovered them. Of course there was no blood. Super high up shots. With that, its a learning lesson where you will have to adjust your point of aim from that stand.

As much as I'd like to dig on powerbelts, this guy is right. You'll never get good blood hitting that high whether you hit them with a Barnes or a battle axe. The cavity has to fill to the hole before they start leaking.

Mike Belt

I've killed quite a few deer with the PBs. They were deadly accurate in my rifle and most died within eyesight. The problem was that even when I got a pass thru if there was any trailing to be done there was usually very little blood trail. I never lost a deer but recovering some of them was a much harder job. Because of this I switched back to my Barnes bullets. They aren't quite as accurate but they knock a deer off their feet and you almost always have a blood trail.

Latest posts