Help me with a better load

buckaroo

I have knight inline with 209 muzzleloader primer, 100gr Jim Shockey gold, 240gr TC sabots, my blood trails over the years have always been very little, any idea on a better load, thanks

GMB54

100gr of APP brand powder is on the mild side for a tough 240gr XTP MAG. Shockeys is nothing more than rebranded American Pioneer Powder. Change bullets or increase your muzzle velocity quite a bit. Even with a great bullet though blood trails can be poor if you hit the deer high. A good double lung/heart shot with the exit being lower produces good blood trails. Such as when aiming down from a tree stand.

The Barnes 250gr Expander MZ or 250gr XPB if you want to use your own sabots is a great combo for a wide range of impact speeds. They are not your fancy tipped Barnes but otherwise they are almost the same as a Barnes TEZ. They expand well and make a mess of the internal organs.

GMB54

Honestly, im not a fan of the 240gr XTP MAG bullets at normal smoker speeds. The jacket is thicker than a 325gr FTX or 300gr XTP MAG. Cabelas usually has the 250gr XPB in the reloading area but you will need some sabots in the muzzleloader dept too. They might still sell the Expander MZ with sabots but im not really sure. Both are nearly identical bullets.

What Knight rifle are you using?

GMB54

Should not use Blackhorn209 in a Wolverine. Plunger rifles have some issues with it especially with higher end loads.

elkman

100 grains of Triple 7 triple F and a 250 grain hornady SST sabot. Sighted my sons wolverine in with that combo and it was a tack driver. Don't know how the bullet will perform on a deer yet. I have a pro hunter and shoot the same sabot with 120 grains of Blackhorn and it is a tack driver at 150 yards. But as mentioned before, haven't shot a deer with it yet. Both do great on paper

WTM

i did a review of Shockeys several years ago(on the old forum) of the ffg grain size. lol, it was not a nice review. same for the sticks. velocity was off by 250 fps no matter the sabot size or powder/bullet compression. i forget the ballistics but it was in the low range although it burned clean. but then again so was White Hots and you can read my review of that moisture sucking sub on here as well. i never tried the fffg grain size but i imagine it may perform a little better with plenty of compression.

if you stick with shockeys, look at the bullets GMB54 listed. if you switch to 777 then you will have more choices. i did some terminal ballistics on tc shockwave bonded and 100gr ffg 777 on about 12 deer that year. (the results are posted on here too). do not fire BH209 in that gun.

GMB54

While im not a huge fan of Triple7, it will yield better velocity and better extreme spreads than the APP line of powders. In the Wolverine is it one of the best choices especially in the percussion models. The #11 caps cut way down on the dreaded "crud ring". WinT7s or Rem ML primers might help a little too. Real Swiss black powder or Olde Enysford are also both excellent choices if you dont mind the smoke. They perform very close to Triple7 in speed and they are insanely reliable with virtually no crud ring.

WTM

GMB54":11xt3o4r said:
While im not a huge fan of Triple7, it will yield better velocity and better extreme spreads than the APP line of powders. In the Wolverine is it one of the best choices especially in the percussion models. The #11 caps cut way down on the dreaded "crud ring". WinT7s or Rem ML primers might help a little too. Real Swiss black powder or Olde Enysford are also both excellent choices if you dont mind the smoke. They perform very close to Triple7 in speed and they are insanely reliable with virtually no crud ring.

yeah i thought the same about #11 caps. didnt work in a kind of similar black diamond and black diamond XR. failed in both rifles with groups of about 8 in. even used the german magnums. they are too weak. remington ml 209 works good but the T7 209 works better. i still have the bd XR and it is super accurate and never had a noticeable crud ring. only the "crunch" right before breech. buddy of mine bought a triumph about 6 years ago and his never had the crud ring problem. the only thing that rifle had trouble with was an extremely tight bore. maybe only certain breech designs develop that crud ring, idk.

Latest posts