Had better nights

Scioto

Took the new traditional smokepole to the range today and got it sighted in. Came home and after my Indians fell behind 7 zip, I started cleaning the gun. Wouldn't you know its been a bad luck night for me. As I was finishing up with the second to last drying patch, my cleaning rod broke. The patch and cleaning jag are now stuck in the bore and I've tried everything I can to get them removed to no avail. I have a CO2 dispenser device that I bought a few years ago. Has anyone had any experience using one of those? Do they work? What if I remove the nipple and drum, put a little black powder in there, replace and shoot it out? Not sure if the neighbors would like that.

Also, does anyone know of a gun shop in the Brentwood/Franklin area where I could get a new cleaning/range rod? I usually order my smokepole accessories on line but that isn't an option given opening day this Saturday. I checked Bass Pro, but they only have the 32" in-line rods and my barrel is 42".

fairchaser

I wouldn't shoot it out. That's an obstruction and potentially dangerous. The co2 idea has merit and I would try that first. You might need a gunsmith if the back end of the gun needs removal. It takes a heavy vise and tools to do the job correctly. Personally, I would try and borrow a gun if you can't fish it out. The gunsmith unless they do you a big favor likely can't get to it. If you were in west TN, I could loan you one. Best of luck.

Smo

No problem use the co2 rig. Just pull the nipple out and blow thru the hole. A compressor will do the same thing. Should not be a problem with a stuck jag a ball is a horse of a different color. Make sure to point the muzzle in a safe direction. Thy The Franklin Gun Shoppe they should have what you need.

Scioto

Wobblyshot, the CO2 device did the trick. Talked to Tip and going to see him this afternoon. He and my brother know each other. Funny how disappointment can lead to something good.

Scioto

Smo":19xk3341 said:
No problem use the co2 rig. Just pull the nipple out and blow thru the hole. A compressor will do the same thing. Should not be a problem with a stuck jag a ball is a horse of a different color. Make sure to point the muzzle in a safe direction. Thy The Franklin Gun Shoppe they should have what you need.

Thanks Smo. It did work. I connected the device to the nipple and it blew out the jag.

Scioto

Smo":zu957yp5 said:
No Problem :idea: :tu: Going to see Tip is always a good day ! I hope you find what you are looking for.

Oh man, was it ever. Fascinating. He can talk. Bought a $35 cleaning rod and a new $10 ramrod that he measured, fit, stained, oiled. Three and a half hours later we're still talking. Brought my wife and she can talk with the best of them. She's a city girl and not a hunter but had a wonderful time.

Smo

Tip is a hoot for sure. And yes he can talk.lol I have a Friend and black powder shooter coming to visit for Thanksgiving . I can't wait to see the look on his face when we stroll into Tips place. We plan to hit Dixie Gun Works while he's here too. Another great road trip.. My Wife loves to visit and talk to Tip too. Are the ends pinned on your new ram rod?

Scioto

Smo":h0yuuzpy said:
Tip is a hoot for sure. And yes he can talk.lol I have a Friend and black powder shooter coming to visit for Thanksgiving . I can't wait to see the look on his face when we stroll into Tips place. We plan to hit Dixie Gun Works while he's here too. Another great road trip.. My Wife loves to visit and talk to Tip too. Are the ends pinned on your new ram rod?

Yes. He did it all.

Latest posts