Best trail camera for the $$$

Thicketmaster

I would like to hear what cameras y'all are using? Moultrie is the best I've seen my buddy is saying hes heard good things about the browning black ops? My cameras are out all year! I never stop running them!

JCS

Moultrie 990i or Covert Extreme black 60. Best cam for the money hands down

Thicketmaster

Planking said:
Don't buy primos cams. I bought three this summer and none were working by the end of October.

X2 on the primos I bought 2 last December they both quit working one in July the other in august they would not do anything about them because I didn't have my ticket where I bought them! Both of mine just quit working would not come on or do anything!

Rollo

I bought the Moultrie 990i and Browning Black ops together. The Browning was glitchy right out of the box. Still have the 990i, 9 months now. Had to try a few different cards that it likes.

Shed Hunter

I'll never own a other Moultrie just after having bad luck with my first two M990is. When mine comes back from customer service, I'm going to sell it for cheap and buy a Covert.

In other words, I prefer Covert over anything I've owned-by far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

Master Chief":3jpy9va5 said:
In other words, I prefer Covert over anything I've owned-by far.
FOR THE MONEY, Covert has built a good reputation, especially in the customer service area.

Recently, I've discovered the Browning Dark Ops, which I believe compares very favorably and is very overall similar to the Covert Black 60 model. There are some "feature" differences on the Browning Dark Ops vs. the Covert Black 60, and for certain set-ups, I prefer one over the other. Overall, a coin toss as to which one I like best.

If Browning's customer service is in the same league as Covert's (and you can expect some lemon units and problems with either brand, so this is a big factor about the customer service) ----- then Browning may be Covert's toughest competition in that general price range.

But in a much higher price range, Reconyx is the best cam for the $$$. It's just that you can purchase 3 or 4 Coverts or Brownings for the initial cost of one Reconyx.

Shed Hunter

Wes Parrish":1nzg43y5 said:
Master Chief":1nzg43y5 said:
In other words, I prefer Covert over anything I've owned-by far.
FOR THE MONEY, Covert has built a good reputation, especially in the customer service area.

Recently, I've discovered the Browning Dark Ops, which I believe compares very favorably and is very overall similar to the Covert Black 60 model. There are some "feature" differences on the Browning Dark Ops vs. the Covert Black 60, and for certain set-ups, I prefer one over the other. Overall, a coin toss as to which one I like best.

If Browning's customer service is in the same league as Covert's (and you can expect some lemon units and problems with either brand, so this is a big factor about the customer service) ----- then Browning may be Covert's toughest competition in that general price range.

But in a much higher price range, Reconyx is the best cam for the $$$. It's just that you can purchase 3 or 4 Coverts or Brownings for the initial cost of one Reconyx.

Thanks for the info about the Browning cams. I've had a rough time with camera failures this year and am not a fan of limiting myself to one brand so I may look into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckriver

Where are you buying the coverts? Don't see them on Cabelas website and when I Google only store I see is Mack's PW (which is awesome by the way) for $199 for the extreme black 60

TheLBLman

Master Chief":zxjc5609 said:
Thanks for the info about the Browning cams.
I've paid about the same for each of my Covert Black 60's and my now two Browning Dark Ops, although you can commonly find the Browning Dark Ops for a little less than the Black 60 units. I'm not recommending either over the other, as need a lot more time to see how the Brownings hold up, and whether their customer service is satisfactory. My first one has a key feature of "field scan" that does not work, and it's my intention to deal with that as soon as the bucks have shed their antlers. The Browning works well otherwise and I don't want to take it out of use yet.

I was once excited about "Leupold" entering the trail cam business, so am trying to be a bit more reserved about "Browning". But so far, the Dark Ops compares favorably to the Black 60, both having some different features, and each being a better choice for different set-ups. While the Black 60 is a 12mp cam, and the Dark Ops is a 10mp, I'm getting better nighttime images with the Dark Ops. Possibly slightly better daytime with the Black 60. Both are generally better daytime & nighttime images than other true black flash cams I've used, some costing much more.

Vermin93

Just pulled the card for the first time on my new Stealthcam G42 after a month in the field., and I was super impressed. Video quality was superior to my Browning Dark Ops and far superior to my Covert MP8 Black cams.

I now see why the G42 has gotten so many great reviews. Reliability is still an unknown at this point, but so far it's my favorite micro black flash cam in the $125 price range.

weatherby man

I agree with the Chief on Reconyx but Love my Cuddebacks. I can buy almost 2 for the price of one Reconyx and would love to have the $$ for them but I don't, plus I have a 14 year old so cheaper has to be the way. I try to but 2 a year but this year went out and got 4 Attacks as they are being retired. I also got a couple of E2s and they are fine. A single set of batteries has lasted over 6 weeks.

Latest posts