Best round for a .243

Artemas

Went yote hunting for the first time this morning and after getting to the spot we were going to setup for the second set , a yote comes trotting out at about 100yds into the field. By the time I grabbed the gun and found a rest he was 175-200yds out and I knocked him on the move. After looking at the yote we saw that the front quarter was all blown up so it was no good to mount. We are using a hornady 58 grain varmint round. Anyone know of a good round that is good enough to cause the damage to kill but won't tear everything up?

jakeway

This is a 243 Hornady 95 gr SST with a light load (I don't have my data with me, but I think it was around 33 grs) of H4895, at about 2700 fps muzzle velocity. The shot was about 65 yards.

I couldn't find the entrance hole without skinning the yote, and this exit hole is only about an inch. I think the lower velocity keeps these bullets together pretty well, escpecially on light game like a yote. I didn't hit any bones but ribs, though.

I also have an even lighter load of bulk 80 gr soft point bullets at 2400 fps that I will use when strictly yote hunting; the SSTs were used while deer hunting. (Killed a couple deer with that load, too.)

Exit.jpg

huntinman

Congrats on the kill. My go to Coyote rifle is a Remington 7600 pump in 243. I shoot 95 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. I'm not looking to mount one myself, but it will sure do a job on one. If you want to kill one that would be mountable, I would suggest a 22 mag, or an up close 22 lr shot.

Latest posts