Best meat?

archer19

1. Beef
2. Elk
3. Buffalo
4. Bear, slow roasted, cooled then sliced, flour and pan country fried….. delicious!!!
5. Whitetail

yesmarwh

2-Step Enabled
Elk and beef is at the top of my list. Love duck, but pheasant is a lot better. Abalony and alligator is really good. Monkey, dog and water Buffalo are good if you have a good marinate on them. Bear and wild boar are good if you clean them and get on ice right away. (If it's hot or warm weather) Goose and bear sausage is good if made correctly. The Canadians do really good job making sausage.

DeerCamp

I LOVE to eat animals... how would you rank animal cuts? ( I'm talking steaks)

1.. grass with grain supplemented angus beef

2.. elk... almost like grass fed beef... excellent flavor, no marbling, at times a little tough

3...antelope... rich, almost sweet meat. No gamey flavor if meat removed off the carcass asap after the kill

4... lamb... yum

5...whitetail... if dry aged, very serviceable as pan seared steaks...

I've never eaten mulies or exotics, heard nigali and axis are incredible
Going to eat moose next year after my Alaska hunt
I have to put Fallow Deer pretty high up this list.

I'll find out this weekend if Oryx is any good. I'll be on Fort Bliss training range for a once in a lifetime free range Oryx hunt with my brother in law.

gtk

Staff member
The "best" of what I have cooked/eaten

1. Antelope
2. a good Ribeye
3. Sandhill Crane
4. Duck with skin on fried in its own fat
5. Elk
7. Alligator
8. Whitetail/Mule Deer (both taste about same to me)
9. Dove poppers
10. Young sow

Honorable mention, but wasn't just crazy about

11. Squirrel
12. BBQ Racoon
13. Turtle

Wooden Arrow

finished off an injured fawn once, still had spots on flanks. tenderest meat i've ever had. love wild turkey too... uncle gave me some wild hog sausage a spell back, from one he killed at Catoosa. it was great!~

Last edited:

Sako

Antelope
Moose
Whitetail
lamb
elk
pork
chicken
beef
Mule deer (at least the 2 bucks I shot were "ripe")

Sako

The "best" of what I have cooked/eaten

1. Antelope
2. a good Ribeye
3. Sandhill Crane
4. Duck with skin on fried in its own fat
5. Elk
7. Alligator
8. Whitetail/Mule Deer (both taste about same to me)
9. Dove poppers
10. Young sow

Honorable mention, but wasn't just crazy about

11. Squirrel
12. BBQ Racoon
13. Turtle
I actually like turtle... now I have only ever eaten soft shelled turtle.. Never had anything with a hard shell.

LanceS4803

It's really interesting to see how many people like antelope.
I had always heard it was only good for grinding into sausage, with seasoning covering the taste. And this was the folks that hunt them all the time when I lived in Utah. Was really worried before my first antelope hunt in Utah this past September.
But, I stuck with the plan. Field dressed and iced quickly, then aged 10 days and cut and packaged as I would deer. I figured if it wasn't that great, can always grind.
Got out a tenderloin for dinner and my wife and I were absolutely stunned at how good it was!! Rivaled, if not topped, elk.
Don't know where antelope got such a bad reputation.

gtk

Staff member
Don't know where antelope got such a bad reputation.
because most antelope hunts are during pretty warm weather. Someone shoots an antelope, maybe tracks it a short bit, stands around admiring it, takes pics to post on the book of face, drags it back to truck (or walk back to bring truck to antelope), then decides to gut it. Then they throw it in back of the hot bed of a truck and drive around with it in the hot sun for who-knows-how-long.

AT Hiker

I have a theory on antelope taste that involves them being stressed. If they are spooked or rutting real hard they seem to smell much worse than normal. Look at a buck, that black cheek patch is basically a huge stink gland.
Even after a high quality tanning job, antelope still have a smell.
So, stress one out and I think it can contaminate the meat. Making field and butchering care even more important.

LanceS4803

I just got the
Even after a high quality tanning job, antelope still have a smell.
So, stress one out and I think it can contaminate the meat. Making field and butchering care even more important.
I just for the tanned, hair on, hide back last week.
Beautiful and oh so soft. They did a great job, but lost the corn chip smell.

megalomaniac

because most antelope hunts are during pretty warm weather. Someone shoots an antelope, maybe tracks it a short bit, stands around admiring it, takes pics to post on the book of face, drags it back to truck (or walk back to bring truck to antelope), then decides to gut it. Then they throw it in back of the hot bed of a truck and drive around with it in the hot sun for who-knows-how-long.
Antelope is absolutely THE most sensitive meat to be tainted by a delay in time from the kill until its skinned.

All the stink of an antelope is in the hide and glands... get the hide off ASAP, and the meat is some of the best out there.

When I say ASAP, the hide needs to be off in under 30 minutes after the shot for optimum meat flavor. The skinned quarters dont necessarily need to be cooled down until hours after that... but you HAVE to get the hide off quick to appreciate just how good antelope is.

RedDawg

Antelope is absolutely THE most sensitive meat to be tainted by a delay in time from the kill until its skinned.

All the stink of an antelope is in the hide and glands... get the hide off ASAP, and the meat is some of the best out there.

When I say ASAP, the hide needs to be off in under 30 minutes after the shot for optimum meat flavor. The skinned quarters dont necessarily need to be cooled down until hours after that... but you HAVE to get the hide off quick to appreciate just how good antelope is.
Antelope burgers with its natural sage flavoring and a slab of sharp cheddar on top are the best!

Latest posts