Best Rain gear for colorado elk hunt.

DMAG

I saw that Colorado will be getting a ton of rain real soon and just in case I want to buy some rain gear. I have a redledge top, but I would like something that breathes and will keep me dry. What do you all suggest?

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I just bought a Kuiu Chugach rain jacket. It's a very nice piece of equipment. Whatever you get make sure that it breathes.

RockChucker30

I used Marmot Precip last year. I killed my bull after two days of all day rain and had to pack him out in the rain. It did fine. It is not breathable but has big pit zips for venting.

I've found that "breathable" raingear makes you as wet from sweat as non breathable if you're active.

Buzzard Breath

I've got both the Cabelas MT50 and their space rain gear. When I'm hunting cooler weather I wear the MT50 and just use it as an out layer, but if I'm out there for archery season, I just pack the space rain gear because it's light and packs down to nothing. It will stay in my daypack except when it rains.

AT Hiker

If you want top quality, breathabilty and truly waterproof and light weight look into Mountain Hardware or Northface...of course these do not come in camo but you can find natural colors in some of there lines. Be prepared to spend a min of $400 for a top and bottom combo.

There are some good "hunting" rain gear lines out there but I have yet to find one that is truly light weight, breathable and completely waterproof. I have owned cabelas and russell apx, both eventually will get you wet after prolong rain. The russell apx is cheap (for the quality you get) but the best thing I like about it is the flexibility you get and it is pretty breathable. I wore my russell twice this past turkey season, first time I sat for over 1 hour in a downpour, I got slightly wet around my knees. The other time we walk for a while in a downpour and I got wet around the knees again but I got wet quicker. I presume this is a flaw and/or con with the flexible knee designs.

Here is a question for you, are you actually planning to hunt in the rain? Or just getting back to camp or waiting it out? I do not plan to actually hunt in the rain, but in the backcountry when it rains you do not have a truck or house to shelter you so protection is a must.

Another tip that will make your trip more enjoyable; make sure you have good boots and gaiters to keep you dry. Plus as many pairs of socks as you can carry, happy feet equal happy trip. I did 12 days last summer in the Appalachian Mtns, it rained a few times and I got soaked. My boots eventually got wet, but the fresh socks made all the difference. FYI...no matter how water proof your boots and gaiters are they will eventually get wet if your walking in 6" of water and mud.

Winchester

Not sure about available colors but the Cabelas Guide Gear will definitely keep you dry in all conditions.

megalomaniac

It's fairly cheap, but more importantly ultra light weight... I use the cabelas space packable rain gear... the full suit will pack down to the size of a roll of toilet paper, and weighs less than 1/2 lb. There is better rain gear out there, but none as light. And since I put my rain gear in my fanny pack when hunting and only use it in the afternoons when it's raining (I only wear it around 10% of the time), it works just fine for me during early bowseason.

DntBrnDPig

I bought Core 4 Element's rain gear. I've only had to wear it once but it was pretty good. I dont know how it compares to other rain gear, but it's not 'silent' but its also not loud.

thirdwilliam

I am a little late to this dance but will chime in anyway. The quietest low nao fleece rain gear, I have used is Rivers West. It is water proof and windproof. It has zippers, under the arms, for venting. Check out Cascadedirect.net for ordering. the H2P is the original....

LanceS4803

Hiking in the West can really elevate body temps. So am looking for light weight.

I did a military school where we traveled in snow. Would be down to just a t-shirt while humping along, but when stopped all the outer wear went back on, quickly!

Latest posts