First Time Colorado Elk

Outdoor Enthusiast

Well this October I will be trying my hand at elk hunting in CO. I drew a cow elk tag for second rifle. It is actually an OTC unit for that season bull tag, but I am looking more for the opportunity, so I will be taking the cow tag in my pocket.

I am expecting that it will be high pressure and lots of hunters, but that's part of the challenge I suppose.

I have a close family friend with a lake house so getting to stay there will feel luxurious. I am really looking forward to that. I am hoping to do some trout fishing too and hanging out by the lake.

If you have any advice or do/don't's shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

TNlandowner

For so many reasons: take a friend!
Elk pack out: the hard work starts after the harvest
Safety
More enjoyable to hunt with buddies

Pack game bags and a butchering kit.
Map and overhead imagery reconnaissance. Find drainage travel corridors and saddles along steep ridges
Get to higher altitude before daylight: other hunters will push elk to thick timber for cover

Outdoor Enthusiast

For so many reasons: take a friend!
Elk pack out: the hard work starts after the harvest
Safety
More enjoyable to hunt with buddies

Pack game bags and a butchering kit.
Map and overhead imagery reconnaissance. Find drainage travel corridors and saddles along steep ridges
Get to higher altitude before daylight: other hunters will push elk to thick timber for cover
My brother in law is going too. So I won't be alone. We are training already for the pack out.

Fortunately we are in relatively good shape but not ready for that yet. Or the elevation.

PaintRocker

Best Advice: If possible, go early enough to get 1 or 2 days of scouting in. You need to find a good place to hunt for the first two days of season. Don't spend those two days looking for the "spot". After day 2 you will hear less and less gunshots. I feel like your chances decrease substantially after day 3 but don't have any stats or anything for that.

Out of the ordinary Things to pack: replaceable blade knife, leg gaitors, JetBoil

Biggest things I've expirienced: The elevation is going to kick your butt. Be ready for that. For whatever reason nobody seems to hunt the evenings. Make sure you get out and stay until 30 minutes after shooting light.

huntntrap

I went last year for my first time. We were hunting at 8 and 9 thousand feet. The elevation about killed me while hiking. Like said before, try to go a couple of days early to scout and get your bearings.

AT Hiker

Best of luck!
Like mentioned, try to plan for the elevation, especially if your new to it. Acclimate a couple days before, driving out seems to work great for me. Stay hydrated and make sure you eat your minimum calories. Don't kill yourself the first couple days either by trying to go too deep.

OldFussNFeathers

PM'd again this morning. Good talking to ya. Elevation sickness is real. Never effected me when I was fighting fire but that was when I was in my early 20's. The family I was talking about all fought fire with the exception of 1. I can't really provide to much as I've told you this is my first year out as well. From what I've been reading, depending on area, outfitters go far in and lazy people go about a mile in. Seems like 3-5 miles into the area is a sweet spot. Cousins at a point public campground last year had an elk bugling all night next to them. Like mentioned above, and my wife says, don't go too deep.

DeerMan66

There is a lot of walking involved. Try to avoid cramps by staying hydrated. A friend introduced me to an isotonic energy gel that is a great supplement to fight dehydration. I ended up with some terrible cramps in Colorado before I started using these. See the link.

Science in Sport 60 ml Energy Gel Variety - Pack of 7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T82M892/

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

I use the mask from Walmart to help prepare for elevation. Buy a water filter system and take a camera!! Sounds like you'll be staying at a house so no need for the back country supplies. Good luck!

gtk

Staff member
Be prepared to move. Have a plan A, B, and C. If you aren't seeing elk or fresh sign, move elsewhere. Also keep in mind that elk sign can look "fresh" but be months old. By 2nd rilfe, most bugling will be over, but listen closely early mornings and late evening. I usually still hear elk bugling in evening, when they get up from the bed and start moving towards feeding areas.

Water is your friend. Elk need water.

It can often be warm during 2nd season. Elk will hole up in Dark Timber during the warm parts of the day. If its warm, look for dark timber on North/NorthWestern Slopes (in shade). Elk will move around to stay in shade if its warm out. Just the opposite if extremely cold, but doubtful it will get that cold 2nd season.

Kill your elk uphill. Much easier coming down with a load, than going uphill. :)

Take good glass. A good scope , binoculars especially, spotting scope if you can swing it. Get a good harness for your binoculars. Be prepared for dust to cover everything. I use scope/binocular covers to keep my glass clean.

Go with the expectation that you will enjoy the experience. An elk is just an added bonus.

gtk

Staff member
Also, as stated above, "buy the bull tag", especially if you don't plan on coming back year after year. If you don't have a bull tag , you are almost guaranteed to have a bull walk right by you.

And if you are hunting country that has moose, be careful. Cow Moose / young moose, are killed every year accidentally by people thinking it was a cow elk

Latest posts