Best meat?

AT Hiker

The two most stinking, rutted up animals are elk and pronghorn...but man do they taste great!

Killed a mature KS buck in early September, alfalfa fields and crp for miles and those little scrub red oaks hadn't dropped yet...that was the best Eastern Whitetail I've ever had.

If you haven't eaten a desert Coues whitetail then your missing out on life. How anything can taste so delicious that eats nothing but cactus and sand is beyond me. The flesh is very light in color and texture, almost pork like.

I prefer mule deer over whitetail, you can grind the meat up and actually make a burger without adding fat.

megalomaniac

Been 7 or 8 years since I killed an elk. Maybe I've forgotten... but properly cared for antelope may be even better than beef/ elk.

These backstraps were dry aged 8 days since kill. Steaks were salt/ peppered, then pan seared in butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme to medium rare in a cast iron skillet.

Just as tender as filet mignon, but the most incredibly rich flavor with a hint of sweetness. I think only prime graded filet of beef is better.

Attachments

• 20221002_190006.jpg
    20221002_190006.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 43

OldFart

"Mega", you'll love moose steaks. I used to say elk was better but moose tops elk. Don't get me wrong, all of it is good, especially W TN Whitetail. My wife won't eat CO Mulies but will eat TN Whitetail I hope to stock up on WT in November,

tellico4x4

Anyone eaten Sitka Black-tails?
Yep, 8 of us ate one entire sitka at one sitting on POW. It wasn't a very big buck to start with and after boned & muscled out, it was just enough for dinner! Don't remember it being any better or worse than whitetail. Now the dungeness crabs we caught in traps daily were to die for!
Alaska Crab Dinner 2007.JPG

Snowwolfe

1. Bison - buy another freezer, I ended up with over 550 pounds of boned out meat from the one I killed.
2. Warthog - tastes like sweet fine grained pork. Delicious
3. Elk
4. Alaskan moose
5. Alaskan blacktail
6. Whitetail
7. Impala

Ones that I would eat but not nuts over:
Caribou and black bear

megalomaniac

1. Bison - buy another freezer, I ended up with over 550 pounds of boned out meat from the one I killed.
2. Warthog - tastes like sweet fine grained pork. Delicious
3. Elk
4. Alaskan moose
5. Alaskan blacktail
6. Whitetail
7. Impala

Ones that I would eat but not nuts over:
Caribou and black bear
Seriously warthog??? I had no idea! Bison I could see being no 1, ive eaten it and its good... not much different than grass fed beef.

Hymie3

You haven't lived til you've had sand hill crane…
1. Sandhill crane
2. Elk
3. Grass fed beef /grain finished
4. Whitetail
5. Blackened grouper

Last edited:

Crosshairy

You haven't lived til you've had sand hill crane…
1. Sandhill crane
2. Elk
3. Grass fed beef /grain finished
4. Whitetail
5. Blackened grouper

I like sandhill pretty well, but I personally wouldn't rank it above elk. I've only eaten 2, for what that's worth. Some of the folks I fed it to complained of an iron after-taste, although I didn't notice it. That was from a really old-looking bird, so I wonder if that was part of it. I thought the sandhill hearts were the best, but I really enjoyed the steaks as well.

Latest posts