Beef(deer) wellington?

fishboy1

Got a new cookbook and it has a delicious beef wellington recipe in it.
Anybody ever make a Deer Wellington? (backstraps) Any adjustments to the recipe?

The book says to wrap in pastry crust and cook to an internal temp of 125' then remove and let rest. Should be a perfect medium rare.
Wondering if the backstraps will dry out, take longer or shorter to cook....?

Thanks.

DaveB

Beef Wellington uses the tenderloin, yes? Hmm, I think the beef would be marbled more than a deer backstrap or tenderloin.

Still, can you compensate with extra prosciutto? Need to think about that, maybe less?

The pastry is pretty rich...You know, I think you may be okay but I would cut that temp a few degrees (assumption your oven thermostat or your thermometer is accurate).

I had this once in England...(My Mom-Australian heritage-INSISTED on it)... one of the very few things in England you can eat.

TAFKAP

I've never made one....it's a fairly difficult dish. I think 125° is too high for venison. Since a backstrap is a smaller piece of meat than a beef tenderloin, it'll rocket past 125°and will end up overcooked. I wouldn't let it go past 110°, which should finish rising after you pull from the oven to a perfect medium rare. Plus, if that seems low to you, consider that the meat will be insulated with mushrooms, proscuitto, and pastry. It'll continue cooking after you pull it, and the smaller and flatter piece of meat will take the heat a lot quicker than a beef loin. You may have to adjust the oven temperature higher, actually. You want the pastry to crisp and brown at the same time as the meat is done. If the recipe is baking at 375° for a beef loin, I'd try 400°for venison.

I would make sure the meat is salted well in advance of cooking (at least 2 hours). Not just for flavor, but for the moisture retention properties of brining. Even though it's not technically true to the recipe, the proscuitto wrapping helps keep the mushroom mix from turning the pastry into goo. The mushrooms alone will release a lot of liquid if you don't brown them first. But once you have the meat wrapped, it should be perfect.

AT Hiker

I have plans to make one. The basis of the recipe is to brown the venison loin first (just more depth of flavor, maybe), wrap in prosciutto and layer a mushroom pate (if I could find morels I would attempt to use them) on the pastry.
Of course the hardest part is going to be cooking the pasty and loin without overdoing either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAFKAP

AT Hiker":9ukyysnm said:
I have plans to make one. The basis of the recipe is to brown the venison loin first (just more depth of flavor, maybe), wrap in prosciutto and layer a mushroom pate (if I could find morels I would attempt to use them) on the pastry.
Of course the hardest part is going to be cooking the pasty and loin without overdoing either.

I would sear the loin, and use that pan for the mushrooms. Cool it all, then wrap in pastry the next day and bake in a 400° oven. The trick is browning the pastry without murdering the meat. Cold meat & the cold mushrooms should help

TAFKAP

TAFKAP":hgten0w6 said:
AT Hiker":hgten0w6 said:

I would sear the loin, and use that pan for the mushrooms. Cool it all, then wrap in pastry the next day and bake in a 400° oven. The trick is browning the pastry without murdering the meat. Cold meat & the cold mushrooms should help

And use the prosciutto as an outer layer. Otherwise, the pastry will be soggy.

Latest posts