Beans

TennesseeRains

Okay, here's what ya need:

...Depending upon how big your crockpot is, you'll need to adjust the measurements...

1 Cup Dry Pinto Beans

1 Cup Dry White Beans

8 Cups Water (or Beef Stock - I've found this adds additional flavor)

1 Tablespoon Salt (more or less depending upon YOUR taste! And I prefer SEA SALT)

1/2 tablespoon Freshly Ground Black pepper

3 Cloves Garlic

1 Small Jalapeno Pepper

Hamhock - I have used smoked neck bones too...a couple of slices of good bacon will work in a pinch, but I don't feel it does the beans justice! :)

Now:

Put the 2 cups of dry Beans on the counter and pick out any that don't look good. My wife says I remind her of the chef on the old Muppets Show when I do this.

***Also...make sure to get the little pebbles that often show up with in the beans!!! Nothing like enjoying a good bowl of beans and crack a tooth...***

Throw out the bad beans and any pebbles, put the good ones into a strainer and rinse them off thoroughly.

In a pot or pan, put the beans and cover with water; bring the Beans to a boil for five minutes. Then remove them from the burner and let them sit for 1 hour. Don't have to do this step - you could just let them soak overnight in water to rehydrate. This is important so the beans will more readily absorb the flavors you'll be adding later!

Once they have sat for an hour, strain the water off of them. If the skins of the beans are flaking off, that is FINE, perfectly normal!

...So, now take your small Jalapeno pepper and remove the seeds by cutting down the side and scraping them out - OR - don't cut the pepper at all, just add it whole!

Take the 3 cloves of garlic and remove the husks from them.

Do not chop up either of these ingredients.

Now...To the Crock Pot!

Dump all the goodies into the pool:

2 Cups Boiled or Re-hydrated Beans
8 Cups Hot Water or Beef Stock
1 Tablespoon Salt
3 Cloves Garlic
1 Jalape�o Pepper
Hamhock

On my crock pot it takes aaround 8 hours on medium heat for the beans to cook through. The beans should come to a very low boil. If they start going into a rolling boil, turn them down. If your water/beef stock boils away, add more...but it's best not to if you can help it!

Your beans should be done after 8-hours....but I like to cook them longer!!! Also, you'll probably have plenty left over...so allow them to cool and store in the fridge. This is where the flavors intensify and I've found the beans to be better the second day!

Now, I like homemade dill pickles and cornbred with mine (have to post those recipes later)...along with a slice of onion; and of course, can't forget the ice-cold tea!

Enjoy.

green doe

TennesseeRains said:
Put the 2 cups of dry Beans on the counter and pick out any that don't look good. My wife says I remind her of the chef on the old Muppets Show when I do this.
Mmm bork bork bork!

Latest posts