stir fry beef and snap beans

WTM

FE7A78F7-F1AF-4E13-AF7D-10147F242384.jpeg

beef marinate, i used a good marbeled flank steak, excellent.

1 pound skirt steak of flap meat, thinly sliced against the grain, 1/4" thick
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
1/2 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

mix together and let sit while you cut and chop the following.

sauce, mix together and set aside:

2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
1/4 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch

get this ready to cook:

3 tablepsoons vegetable, canola, or peanut oil, divided
1 pound snap beans, trimmed can use sugar snaps instead
2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced (about 2 teaspoons)
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
1 green onion, white and light green parts only, finely minced

stir fry beef in 1tbs oil, cook a minute with touching then stir fry until done. do it in two batches, in a big wok or skillet. put in bowl and set aside. wipe out wok.

put in last tbs oil and beans. stir fry until bright with small char spots on beans. toss in green onion, garlic and ginger and strir fry one minute. toss in beef and and stir fry a few seconds. poor in sauce and fry until thick and beef and beans are coated. serve with white rice or stir fried rice.

couple of tips: shaoxing wine. find it and use it. if you ever done stir fry and it just doesnt take like the restaurants, this is why. can use dry cooking sherry or rice wine vinegar(use half the amount).

get wok a little smoking before adding oil. this will make it pretty much non stick. a little test is to flick a little water into the pan. if it immediately evaporates the wok is ready for oil.

i cook on medium high but im always taking off heat and tossing to contol the heat. tossing is critical when making fried rice or it just doesnt taste the same.

dont overload your pan or your beef with be gray and sad. this is about max amount:

36338385-1462-4595-9644-331F3EABDAA6.jpeg

Last edited:

WTM

oh yeah, if you want to try deer meat the bottom round is very nice to use in stir fry. ive never had a tough piece of stir fried bottom round. just remember to slice it against the grain and 1/4" or less.

if you like korean bulgogi the bottom round works really well in that too.

JCDEERMAN

That all looks great. Got any more tips on how you do that fried rice? I got a blackstone for Christmas and am dying to get it fired up. I love some fried rice

WTM

That all looks great. Got any more tips on how you do that fried rice? I got a blackstone for Christmas and am dying to get it fired up. I love some fried rice

3 tablespoons oil, peanut, canola or other high smoke point oil, divided
2 eggs, whisked
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 small white onion, diced or 1/4-1/2 med onion
1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and black pepper
3-4 cups cooked and chilled rice (long grain or short grain)
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3–4 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste
2 teaspoons oyster sauce (optional)
1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil

heat a tablespoon oil and make a 2 egg omlet. shred and set aside.

put another tablespoon of oil on med high heat and put in onions, garlic and carrots. add a pinch of salt and pepper. stir fry for about a minute then add the peas. stir fry for another minute or two. crank heat up to high add another tablespoon of oil and add the rice. stir fry for a about 2 minutes or so. DONT CONSTANTLY STIR. you want it to stick a little to brown the rice. when you stir you want to lift and drop the rice quickly several times. add the eggs, soy sauce and oyster sauce and constantly stir for about another minute. add the sesame oil mix and your done.

if you find you dont like sesame oil leave it out. it is a finishing or maranade oil to used at the end.

if you want the best fried rice you ever at use ghee butter or duck fat instead of oil.

like i said before dont just stir the rice, lift and drop with two spatulas(on your blackstone). with my wok im tossing the rice in the air a couple of times a minute. the reaction of the hot rice and air is what gives fried rice the authentic flavor that most people cant get at home. thats the secret.

if you dont use a lot of asian ingredients then buy a pack of this at the store, its pretty close:

8834E5B3-6A03-4A54-81D1-58263D749BAA.jpeg

WTM

if you want thai fried rice leave out the oyster sauce and add 3 tbsp quality fish sauce like red boat or son's or thai kitchen premium if you cant find the other two, a squeeze of lime and a teaspoon of sugar mixed in the sauce. and sometimes some fresh thai basil. typically served with fresh sliced cukes and tomatoes.

of course you can add chicken, shrimp or pork to fried rice. just cook it first and add it with the eggs at the end. authentic asian rice, eggs or meat is used only for flavoring and used sparingly.

BamaProud

The trick to good fried rice is to use day-old leftovers

What about 3-4 day old rice? I just threw out about a 1/2 gallon of rice that was several days old (trash night and I HATE throwing away food) and was thinking I wonder if this would still be good to try ro make fried rice. I'm also new to the Blackstone flat-top market since Christmas.

TAFKAP

Sure, should work just fine. I just said that as opposed to fresh cooked rice. For successful stir fry rice, it needs to be chilled and firmed up.

WTM

one thing i do that i didnt mention is that i dont use the full amount of water. ie 1 cup rice to two cups of water ratio. i use about 1 3/4 cups water. this makes a drier firmer rice. i also tend to rinse the rice is a mesh before i add it to pot, sometimes, if i dont forget. that way i can cook the rice before i go to work and have it for dinner when i get home.

ifnits a little al dente thats fine, it will be perfect when its fried.

the same for when i soak rice noodles for mei fun, ho fun, pad tai, etc. soak until limp but a little past al dente.

BamaProud

3 tablespoons oil, peanut, canola or other high smoke point oil, divided
2 eggs, whisked
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 small white onion, diced or 1/4-1/2 med onion
1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and black pepper
3-4 cups cooked and chilled rice (long grain or short grain)
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3–4 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste
2 teaspoons oyster sauce (optional)
1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil

heat a tablespoon oil and make a 2 egg omlet. shred and set aside.

put another tablespoon of oil on med high heat and put in onions, garlic and carrots. add a pinch of salt and pepper. stir fry for about a minute then add the peas. stir fry for another minute or two. crank heat up to high add another tablespoon of oil and add the rice. stir fry for a about 2 minutes or so. DONT CONSTANTLY STIR. you want it to stick a little to brown the rice. when you stir you want to lift and drop the rice quickly several times. add the eggs, soy sauce and oyster sauce and constantly stir for about another minute. add the sesame oil mix and your done.

if you find you dont like sesame oil leave it out. it is a finishing or maranade oil to used at the end.

if you want the best fried rice you ever at use ghee butter or duck fat instead of oil.

like i said before dont just stir the rice, lift and drop with two spatulas(on your blackstone). with my wok im tossing the rice in the air a couple of times a minute. the reaction of the hot rice and air is what gives fried rice the authentic flavor that most people cant get at home. thats the secret.

if you dont use a lot of asian ingredients then buy a pack of this at the store, its pretty close:

View attachment 127017

Gonna give it a shot tonight. I even made ghee.