Baseball Regionals

Gravey

Well dang the Vols have to go to Southern Miss for the supers. Didn't help them last year to play in Knoxville but was hoping they'd get to host. Seems with the coach at Southern Miss retiring at the end of the season that came into play. Oh well GBO! 🍊

volboy

Well dang the Vols have to go to Southern Miss for the supers. Didn't help them last year to play in Knoxville but was hoping they'd get to host. Seems with the coach at Southern Miss retiring at the end of the season that came into play. Oh well GBO! 🍊
IF reports are correct, I am sure that played most into the decision. All the metrics were in UT's favor, RPI, SOS, beating the higher rated region, etc. I am sure that one committee member being form USM athletic director and another committee member having a son on USM team didn't have any effect on the determination 😲 🤣

volboy

"The committee will make a determination of that when the situation comes up and the site would be announced Tuesday morning," NCAA Media representative Jeff Williams said in a statement. "Since there is no true seeding of #2s, it would largely just be looking at the merits of the two bids (venue, hotels, guarantees, etc.) but it would be a full committee decision."

Lindsey Nelson Stadium has a base capacity of 4,387 while Southern Miss' Pete Taylor Field seats 3,265fans.

Both Knoxville and Hattiesburg are plenty big enough to have no shortage of hotels so the host could come down to who has the better resume.

Tennessee is 41-19 (16-14 SEC) and entered the NCAA Tournament ranked No. 20 in RPI. Southern Miss is 45-18 (22-8 Sun Belt) and entered the NCAA Tournament ranked No. 21 in RPI. After the opening weekend of the tournament the Vols are No. 12 in RPI and Southern Miss is No. 18.

Why does RPI matter so much? NCAA Tournament selection committee uses RPI more than any other metric and 15 of the 16 regional host teams were in the top 16 of RPI. Many of the final teams in the field landed in the tournament over those that didn't due to RPI.

While Southern Miss has more wins than Tennessee, they did it against a much weaker schedule. The Golden Eagles played just three SEC teams and six games against power five opponents. Southern Miss went 0-3 against the SEC and 1-5 against power five opponents in the regular season.

The Golden Eagles did go 3-0 against NCAA Tournament participant Dallas Baptist. Even so, Tennessee's strength of schedule (19) is 25 spots higher than Southern Miss (44).

Tennessee's three-game sweep of the Clemson Regional (No. 4 overall seed) was more impressive than Southern Miss' Auburn Regional win.

It will be interesting if we will ever see why the committee voted Hattiesburg over Knoxville with these stats

megalomaniac

Southern Miss averages more attendance at games than TN.

Arguably, Southern Miss should have been the host for their regional instead of Auburn.

I think these are 2 of the major factors on giving Southwrn Miss the nod.

I'm excited, hoping I can pull some strings for tickets!

wayne

Southern Miss averages more attendance at games than TN.

Arguably, Southern Miss should have been the host for their regional instead of Auburn.

I think these are 2 of the major factors on giving Southwrn Miss the nod.

I'm excited, hoping I can pull some strings for tickets!
The 2 major factors are that 1 committee member has a son that plays for Southern Miss and another committee member is the former Athletic Director for Southern Miss.