Barnes bullet recovered

Aknytro

I have shot a few moose with the Barnes tsx and a bou with ttsx. The ttsx destroyed the bou. I would rather shoot non tipped as their has been little waste with those. I love the bullet though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter 257W

I almost recovered a 100 grain .257 TTSX a couple years ago but didn't. I hit the buck behind the shoulder quartering towards me and the bullet pulverized his pelvis and never exited. I did not find it though as I was too focused on getting the processing done and quit poking around in the gut pile looking for the bullet. Range was 175 yards and muzzle velocity 3,590 fps. I was impressed to see such a light bullet penetrate like that and have enough energy left to absolutely destroy the pelvic bone.

I'ts not easy to recover these bullets, but in all the cases I've seen they always work as designed when they can be found.

Hunter 257W

jlanecr500":2yfg5u05 said:
I tested them in water filled milk jugs. A 250 TEZ passed thru 7 jugs and stopped in the 8th at 2777 fps from a smokeless muzzleloader. I tested twice and got the exact same results. The resulting mushrooms look just the one posted by Roost. For comparison, a 250 SST/FTX passed thru 1 jug and stopped in the 2nd. A 300 sst/ftx passed thru 2 jugs and stopped in the 3rd.

That's intersting - thanks for posting that. The only ML bullet I've done water jug testing on is some of my own cast bullets. I'm using a Lee 310 grain 44 caliber cast from Wheel weights and also 50% WW plus 50% pure lead. Both variations of this bullet penetrated 4 jugs and stopped in the 5th. Expansion was something like 70 plus caliber and 98 or 99% weight retention. Makes sense that the Barnes would penetrate more being harder and not expanding quite so much. I've never shot a deer with any ML bullet than the 200 grain TC Shockwave but have never done any water jug testing on them to see how they compare.

Latest posts