Recovered sons buck

RockMcL

Deer was quartering away hit back ham and gut. Best l can tell he had buck fever and pulled. 50 cal. Hornady FPB 300 gr. with 90 grains of triple 7.
Sometimes these things happen. I have had it happen. Sometimes you make a good shot & it gets deflected and perhaps we sometimes take an inappropriate shot.
I say analyze and learn from it. Don't obsess about it but self study. Help that amazing young man grow and become a better hunter. Not saying what happened was bad or he did bad. Great time to reflect and grow. Learn to not shot through brush but through holes in brush. Learn to respect the shot and make the shot, to wait for the shot or pass if necessary. Learn to minimize waste in the future then the great buck he killed was still of great value.

Make it positive but acknowledge the negative.

Respectfully

RxHunter

View attachment 158096View attachment 158095We had the neighboring farmer call and ask if we had shot a deer. I told him my son had shot one but we were not able to find it. He said he had found it. The evening he shot it we backed out from the search to give him time to expire. I went in the next morning and jumped him up on a creek laying in a cane thicket. So I backed out again and resumed the search after work. Never was able to locate him so we had been watching for buzzards hoping to find him. Buzzards or coyotes never got on him. Glad we found him but hate we lost the meat. I contacted the local gw to see what we needed to do and we got everything squared away.
Thanks for sharing. When did he shoot him? How far did he go after you jumped him. We had the same thing happen with my nephews deer. Not sure where he went. We thought for sure buzzards would get on him if he died.

RockMcL

I have learned a habit of saying a short prayer before I pull trigger. I thank the Lord for this opportunity and ask him for a good shot and quick, clean kill. Those few seconds of prayer have helped me focus, be calm, and grateful.
Yep

Henry

You son is going to be a great deer hunter!!! Very cool you were able to recover the buck.

Hopefully ya'll can get back out there find another to replace the lost meat. Great kid and dad! (and neighbor)

Gameking

View attachment 158096View attachment 158095We had the neighboring farmer call and ask if we had shot a deer. I told him my son had shot one but we were not able to find it. He said he had found it. The evening he shot it we backed out from the search to give him time to expire. I went in the next morning and jumped him up on a creek laying in a cane thicket. So I backed out again and resumed the search after work. Never was able to locate him so we had been watching for buzzards hoping to find him. Buzzards or coyotes never got on him. Glad we found him but hate we lost the meat. I contacted the local gw to see what we needed to do and we got everything squared away.
How many days after was after the shot, the he was recovered?

Latest posts