Made a shot on a buck Fri night and recovered today

megalomaniac

glad you recovered it!

How do you check it in when you killed it 3 days before, but the day you found it was on juvie weekend? Normally I would say check it in Friday, but you aren't supposed to report >24h after kill. If you report as killed the day you recovered, it's juvie weekend. I guess the safest thing is just call county warden and ask him what to do?

Vince

Thank you all! Dropped it off at Bubba Primm's taxidermy this morning. One heck of a ride from home to his place - I couldn't keep my windows down with the rains. Even he couldn't stand it when I put it in his garage; he soon moved it outside after getting it in a trash bag. I may become a vegan, just can't get the smell outta my lungs.

Vince

How do you check it in when you killed it 3 days before, but the day you found it was on juvie weekend? Normally I would say check it in Friday, but you aren't supposed to report >24h after kill. If you report as killed the day you recovered, it's juvie weekend. I guess the safest thing is just call county warden and ask him what to do?
I checked in via the TWRA App with date of kill as Oct 27. The first three times, it gave me an error. It was asking me to fill some info, but I'd filled all questions. I started googling for a TWRA phone# to call someone. Then I tried once more in the app and the fourth time it went through and gave me a confirmation number.

On Fri after taking the shot, I wasn't super sure if I hit him since so signs. Even if I found hair or blood, I don't think we are expected to check in without finding the deer (am I wrong here?). I texted my wife after the shot and told her I shot the biggest buck I'd seen. I also texted my friend and told him not sure if I hit (I take his son on juvi hunts; he usually helps butchering/searching deer). On my way out of the property that night, I told the landowner I took a shot at a buck but couldnt find it and am coming back tomorrow morning to search. Because of my search on Fri, I was late to my church meeting at 7pm, and reached only at 7.45pm and told them about the shot I think I missed. Later that night, I even had a long story typed up here on tndeer but didn't publish due to super busy weekend. I went to back the draft and added more info after I found the buck Sun evening...

megalomaniac

I checked in via the TWRA App with date of kill as Oct 27. The first three times, it gave me an error. It was asking me to fill some info, but I'd filled all questions. I started googling for a TWRA phone# to call someone. Then I tried once more in the app and the fourth time it went through and gave me a confirmation number.

On Fri after taking the shot, I wasn't super sure if I hit him since so signs. Even if I found hair or blood, I don't think we are expected to check in without finding the deer (am I wrong here?). I texted my wife after the shot and told her I shot the biggest buck I'd seen. I also texted my friend and told him not sure if I hit (I take his son on juvi hunts; he usually helps butchering/searching deer). On my way out of the property that night, I told the landowner I took a shot at a buck but couldnt find it and am coming back tomorrow morning to search. Because of my search on Fri, I was late to my church meeting at 7pm, and reached only at 7.45pm and told them about the shot I think I missed. Later that night, I even had a long story typed up here on tndeer but didn't publish due to super busy weekend. I went to back the draft and added more info after I found the buck Sun evening...
I think you did the right thing, but I have no idea.... that's the one down side about a computerized app with the inability to explain extenuating circumstances

bigtex

Nice Buck and glad you finally found him. Kudos for not giving up.
Just a FYI but if you were planning on having a shoulder mount the cape on that deer is probably ruined [hair slipping] especially if it was stinking as bad as you say. Your Taxidermist could still find a new cape for it though.
If you're just getting a Euro mount no problem.