ATA vs Draw Length

TNReb

I looked at a Hoyt Nitrum 30 yesterday (30" ATA). The bow felt really good to me (excluding the draw cycle). However, I'm a 30" draw length (according to the 2 places that measured me in the last week - I've been shooting 29.5 for the last few years).

When I was reading some reviews, some guys suggested going to a longer ATA than for a 30" draw length due to the angle it creates on the strings. None of them really went in to detail, so I don't know if the concern is nock pinch or just general performance. I have a hard time believing a reputable company would over a 30 ATA in 30" draw if it wasn't reliable.

Truth? Hog wash?

@fulldraw

It's mostly personal preference and comfort. I'd say a nitrum 34 would feel better to you but only shooting one will tell.

TNReb

I shot the 30 and 34 yesterday. Both were comfortable enough. Neither had a site, so I wasn't concerned with finding an anchor point. I was just testing the draw/feel.

The places I hunt are fairly thick during bow season and I would rarely even have a shot past 20 yards. I like the feel of the 30" ATA for maneuverability and such.

TNDeerGuy

There are several potential problems with a long draw and a short ATA. First, and most importantly, is the string angle. With such a steep string angle nock pinch can be a huge problem, as can finding consistant anchor point due to not being able to get their nose on the string and the string on the corner of the mouth. Some people also have problems torque issues. You may not encounter any of these problems, or you may encounter all of them. At the end of the day it basically boils down to personal preference.

UTGrad

TNReb":2dk5avaf said:
I shot the 30 and 34 yesterday. Both were comfortable enough. Neither had a site, so I wasn't concerned with finding an anchor point. I was just testing the draw/feel.

The places I hunt are fairly thick during bow season and I would rarely even have a shot past 20 yards. I like the feel of the 30" ATA for maneuverability and such.

I've shot a 34" ATA bow for a few seasons now and had no problems with maneuverability in a stand or ground blind. Hoyt offers a long draw version of the 34 I believe.

cozy23

I was shooting a short ATA bow until last year and I never realized the difference it could make when you get one that "fits". I now have a 35" ATA bow. I never could anchor my string to the corner of my mouth and my nose before but I can now. I never realized that I couldn't either though. I like my long bow for my long frame personally. I always felt that my old bow looked like I was shooting a youth bow because it was so short too.

The short ATA worked as a great selling point when I sold my old bow though. "Perfect for inside a blind or in a treestand".

Latest posts