Anyone using a 25-06 for deer

Braggin Rights

I bought my 25-06 when I was 18. I said I would get a higher caliber rifle if I ever lost a deer. I haven't bought a new rifle yet and I am 31 now.

Boone 58

I dont have one but i have never heard anything negative on it and in my opinion will do as good a job as anything you can own in a deer rifle

Hunter 257W

I always wonder about these - "shot 50 deer so far and never a one took a step" claims - but then I'm not going to get into that. :)

I hunted almost exclusively with a 25-06 for 17 or so years. It did drop some deer instantly or almost instantly but then like any cartridge, some would take off like a rocket for 50 yards or so. I liked the 115 or 120 grain Nosler Partitions myself. The nose blows off and does big damage while the base goes all the way out the other side.

Speaking of droping 'em in their tracks. I have deer hunted a fair amount of time with a 460 Weatherby(don't laugh) loaded with full-house 300 grain Barnes bullets. 2,850-2,900fps I've hit several deer with that beast and had the bullet expand to 75 caliber or more and penetrate all the way through with some staying inside too. You can't get much more energy dumped inside a deer than that and STILL I've had some run the typical 50 yards. I had one that ran aver 100 with me hitting it 3 times using this load. The 1st shot was too far back though....the 2nd and 3rd were perfect behind-the-shoulder broadside hits at 100 to 125 yards. The deer was running across an open field. So I don't see it being realistic to expect a rifle to drop every deer right where it stands.

Anyhow, having said that, the 25-06 is one of the very best all around deer rifles there is in my opinion.

Latest posts