Anyone turkey hunt LBL?

CBU93

Good many number of birds (and hunters)...extremely difficult, but fun hunts. As a runner and gunner, they have not been kind to me. Holding tight with very light to no calling has worked for most I know that have been successful, but it is a boring turkey hunt to me.

AlabamaSwamper

We are mostly thinking of going to more so look around for deer hunting areas and to get out of the house.

I'm pretty sure they have non-quota hunts don't they? Either way, a weekend retreat with the boat will do also.

Will really depend on when the hunts are and if they are in the way of my Nebraska trip this year.

Went to LBL for the first time the other day and just rode around, ate at Patti's and just glad to have a day like that. I'm pretty sure my wife would enjoy the trip, especially if I carried the boat.

scn

Wear your Nike's and be ready to run. Any bird that gobbles more than twice will bring 3-4 hunters that won't hesitate to go right past you to get to the bird. I've run into some of the most uncouth, uneducated hunters I've ever seen up there.

As CBU posted, you'll have your best luck setting up on some sign, do some very light calling, and hope a shut-mouth one will strut by.

CBU93

Swamper,

The non quota hunts for two weeks are after the draw hunts...they get pressure and lots of it during those times. Even midweek...locals hunt it for a couple hours in the am and got all the folks who are there on a few days off all day...it can be done, but be prepared for some of the most frustrating turkey's you have ever seen. That's what makes it so fun!

medwc

Yup, I have hunted them and agree with everything said. I have been up there during the weekday and it was not busy/crowded to me but the dang birds are still hard to hunt.
My best luck was bow hunting them during deer season.

Latest posts