Anyone on here grow blueberries? You ought to try them.

woodyard

I just planted some more blueberry plants this week. Some of our old plants have enough age on them that they are declining.I have raised blueberrys since 1981. They are one of the easiest fruits to grow. Very little pruning, no insect pests or disease problems. Most plants produce for a few weeks, spread out and not all ripe at once. Attractive landscape plant if you just want a couple or so around the house. They do need an acid soil.

Plant more than one variety. Helps with pollination and you can spread out the harvest for several weeks.

7mminatree

We have a couple of plants in our garden and some wild ones grow on the mountain behind the house. Nothing better than some blueberry cobbler and homemade ice cream. :tu:

LA man

We have 4 blue berry bushes, ll doing good. Its one of the only plants we have that bugs dont bother, but chickens love them. Had to cage them off so we could eat a few

Nimrod777

BamaProud":1489meyx said:
I Love blueberries, probably eat my weight in them each Spring...but haven't had luck growing them.

Same here. Planted some cheap bushes several years ago. They died. Planted some high dollar bushes the next year. They died. Stopped planting blueberries. Success!

BamaProud

Nimrod777":2lms107u said:
BamaProud":2lms107u said:
I Love blueberries, probably eat my weight in them each Spring...but haven't had luck growing them.

Same here. Planted some cheap bushes several years ago. They died. Planted some high dollar bushes the next year. They died. Stopped planting blueberries. Success!

Exact same experience. I have bought them 3 times. I currently have 2 plants that I am pretty sure will not come back this Spring. I think I will stick to growing veggies and just buy blueberries.

Jon54

I just drive down to Nesbit, MS each year and pick enough for the rest of the year. Last year was a banner year.

Big Pop

Yes. Have 3 plants not sure of variety about 5 years old. Normally get about 5 gallons or so off the three plants. Very little attention needed.

DaveB

I think the variety that does best in west TN is "jackrabbit".

Guy I knew grew bberries by the ton in east shelby county so it can definitely be done.

Latest posts