How’s them gardens coming?

backyardtndeer

Are you freezing your okra or pickling? If freezing, what's the method? Gonna out some up but never grew any
My wife has froze it cut up and put in food saver bags, and I guess it does ok for her. I don't think she blanches it or anything, just washes it and let's it dry good. I don't personally care for it. She mostly breads it and fries it when she takes it out of the freezer.

Jcalder

My wife has froze it cut up and put in food saver bags, and I guess it does ok for her. I don't think she blanches it or anything, just washes it and let's it dry good. I don't personally care for it. She mostly breads it and fries it when she takes it out of the freezer.
That's what we're looking to do with it. I don't like it if it's diced too small but bigger pieces fried are delicious.

DoubleRidge

We will take okra and cut it up and bread it just like we do in preparation to fry...then spread it on cookie sheet and set it in the freezer....after frozen then we bag it in freezer bags...then later you can fry from frozen like store bought....we do squash the same way....squash pictured, hadnt done any okra yet.

Attachments

• 20230731_064813.jpg
    20230731_064813.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

RugersNub

Got mine started a couple weeks later than I should have. But doing okay. Tomatoes aren't filling out like I would hope. Okra, squash, zucchini and peppers looking good. Volunteer pumpkins are doing GREAT. View attachment 180292
Update: after a month a half, tomatoes and peppers weren't growing, all squash and zucchini died, okra was doing okay. Had a couple of people look at our garden and turns out the "Garden Blend soil" I got from the landscaping place in town, consisted mostly of leaf compost and sand....very little topsoil. 👍👍👍👍 not going to have very many fruits of our labor this year. Oh...the volunteer pumpkins did fantastic.

DoubleRidge

Update: after a month a half, tomatoes and peppers weren't growing, all squash and zucchini died, okra was doing okay. Had a couple of people look at our garden and turns out the "Garden Blend soil" I got from the landscaping place in town, consisted mostly of leaf compost and sand....very little topsoil. 👍👍👍👍 not going to have very many fruits of our labor this year. Oh...the volunteer pumpkins did fantastic.
That stinks...but trust me....I've been there and its frustrating when things dont work out. But from your previously posted pictures I see you have some nice beds built so the hard part is out of the way. So late summer and fall focus on ammending the beds and you will be good to go next spring....leave the leaf compost and sand blend you have but add some composted manure , clean top soil, vermiculite and something I hadnt done is to add a drip system.....be careful watering from above...wet leaves are more susceptible to diseases.....enjoy the process....very rewarding when it all comes together!

Last edited:

MickThompson

Varmints are wearing me out. Deer or coons in the corn last night. Rabbits cutting down my tomato plants and green beans. I had taken a couple years off and was getting fired up again this spring but now I'm just frustrated.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
After adding suggested soil and amendments cover your soil with straw or peat moss to help preserve moisture.

Latest posts