Anyone else..

Shed Hunter

Anyone else ever use their grunt/calls/other noises to mess with a young buck?

I decided to go hang a trail camera behind my house this evening. Grabbed the gun, orange, and coveralls just in case. I got down to the bottom and saw a fair amount of deer sign so I decided to lean against a tree and watch the edge of an overgrown field from the bottom. I reached in my pocket and noticed I left my grunt in the coveralls so I hit it a few times. Immediately I hear a deer start walking to me. I couldn't see it very well due to how thick the field was. I decided to hit it a few more times. This time the deer started making a scrape and shaking licking branch like crazy. This was only 20 yrds from me but I still couldn't see it. The deer starts to walk off. I let it get about 50yrds and runted again. Here he comes again, in the bottom this time. I quickly noticed it was a little unicorn buck. He walked 20 yards from me. I decided to grunt just to see his reaction. He jumps and blows followed by curiously running in circles searching for the noise. Not once did he look at me.

I find it intersting how stupid young deer are compared to the mature deer that won't take a step in daylight hours. I guess they either learn from those mistakes or end up dieing lol

I ended up forget'n to put the dern camera out after that happened

tasaman

Of course. I've even talked to them and they just don't know what to make of it. Once I threw peanuts at one and he at them. Had to stop didn't want to get nailed for illegal baiting even though his little rack was safe for a couple of years.

Latest posts