Anybody

mr.big

Load 223 plinking ammo on a Dillon? I ordered the shell plate just now and gonna try it.
It sure spits the 9 mm out
7989A1AC-A738-40D0-AEFB-D6E7083298FA.jpeg

backyardtndeer

Nice setup. I load plenty of 223 plinking rounds, but am still using a hornady single stage press for everything. With the wet weekend, been working on trimming once fired 223 brass.

Wiley

I've run my 550B to run some .223 but it's been a couple of years. I don't shoot much. And FWIW, that .223 shell plate is the same as 9mm if I recall correctly. .308 and .45ACP are also interchangeable.

mr.big

I've run my 550B to run some .223 but it's been a couple of years. I don't shoot much. And FWIW, that .223 shell plate is the same as 9mm if I recall correctly. .308 and .45ACP are also interchangeable.
Chart I looked at showed the 9 mm is #3 and the 223 is #5.

DaveB

I don't load 223 on my progressive but I know for a fact that 25 gr of H335 or 24.5 grains of Shooters World Tactical Rifle make excellent and accurate rounds in all our 223 rifles.

Both behind 55 gr Armscor FMJ
OR
60 gr Partitions

And both powders meter really well. The SW does kinda fly around.......little less me, lot more smooooooth is the secret

Deerhunter

I don't load 223 on my progressive but I know for a fact that 25 gr of H335 or 24.5 grains of Shooters World Tactical Rifle make excellent and accurate rounds in all our 223 rifles.

Both behind 55 gr Armscor FMJ
OR
60 gr Partitions

And both powders meter really well. The SW does kinda fly around.......little less me, lot more smooooooth is the secret

I've become a big fan of H335 for the 223. 25gr under a 55gr Hornady SP or FMJ makes an awesome plinker that shoots good in several different rifles.

DaveB

Y
I've become a big fan of H335 for the 223. 25gr under a 55gr Hornady SP or FMJ makes an awesome plinker that shoots good in several different rifles.
I agree.

BUT

I ran very low on H335 and could not replace it. My search for a suitable and in stock alternative took me to Shooters World (it was in stock). Kludgy goofball way of getting load data concerned me so I purchased only a few pounds of Tactical Rifle. Worked up slow......When I got to the max load level (24.5) I took some precious H335 and loaded up twenty to match with 20 in TR.

Off to the range.

The TR actually produced a hair tighter group. Velocity was less than H335 and by a bit more than indicated in the reload data.

I am kinda picky about changing things but accuracy is king in my book and in reality, no choice. I acquired some of the last TR in Midsouth inventory.

Rifles:
Savage Axis II (the absolute best-one ragged hole at 100)
T/C Venture (slow twist 60 gr is max)
S/W AR thing

Fed GM205MAR primers.
Armscor 55 gr FMJ and 60 gr Nosler Partition bullets

All 3 rifles have tight chambers so no playing with lengths to get to the best.

I just checked, no TR anyplace. SW is located someplace in South Carolina and the ABOUT page says they overlook the Smoky Mountains. Maybe they have a factory store?.

Deerhunter

Y

I agree.

BUT

I ran very low on H335 and could not replace it. My search for a suitable and in stock alternative took me to Shooters World (it was in stock). Kludgy goofball way of getting load data concerned me so I purchased only a few pounds of Tactical Rifle. Worked up slow......When I got to the max load level (24.5) I took some precious H335 and loaded up twenty to match with 20 in TR.

Off to the range.

The TR actually produced a hair tighter group. Velocity was less than H335 and by a bit more than indicated in the reload data.

I am kinda picky about changing things but accuracy is king in my book and in reality, no choice. I acquired some of the last TR in Midsouth inventory.

Rifles:
Savage Axis II (the absolute best-one ragged hole at 100)
T/C Venture (slow twist 60 gr is max)
S/W AR thing

Fed GM205MAR primers.
Armscor 55 gr FMJ and 60 gr Nosler Partition bullets

All 3 rifles have tight chambers so no playing with lengths to get to the best.

I just checked, no TR anyplace. SW is located someplace in South Carolina and the ABOUT page says they overlook the Smoky Mountains. Maybe they have a factory store?.
I appreciate you posting that about Shooter World. I've seen it occasionally pop up for sale but haven't tried it myself. May have to give it a try. I remember reading where someone tested one of their rifles powders and it basically mirrored Varget. I've still got about 9lbs of H335, but if I get a chance I may have to stock up on some Shooters world.

Tiny

Chart I looked at showed the 9 mm is #3 and the 223 is #5.
.223 n 380 ACP are the same,Think he was thinking 9mm Short.

Nice Mr Big .. Yes Load a bunch here n there on my Uncles. He loads everything on it.
Biggest thing on Rifles or Bottle neck rounds are resizing n checking case length.. n getting a powder n charge that works well.. I still love the thing though.
Wish I been sooner on a 650 a while back..oh well..

Latest posts