Anybody had good luck with Hornady SST in .30 caliber?

bjohnson

They expand violently if any bone is hit. Just my experience with the 130gr SST from a .270 Win. I prefer the Norma Tipstrike 140gr to the SST. Just as accurate and its not as explosive.

hammer33

A bit of apples to oranges but here goes.
180gr sst in my 308 on hogs and deer. Good wound channel but doesn't always exit. I haven't weighed the recovered bullets but I would say 70% weight retention on average BUT about half of the bullets fragmented more than I am excited about. Overall its very effective and a bit more explosive than the Hornady interlock. If it was life or death, or I had to eat right up to the bullet hole, I would go with a tougher construction.

the 162 BTSP interlock out of my 7mag runs around 200 FPS faster. It almost always exits. On the few occasions where I recover a bullet, it usually retains 90% + with a few outliers when it hits heavy bone. Rarely I will have some kind of separation, usually with a few small bullet chips, 65% weight retention in the lead core, and 60% of the copper jacket in one piece, the rest scattered in pieces around the heavy bone it hit.

double browtine

I concur with the bullet fragments on both the 165gr out of my 300 win mag and the 150 gr out of my 308. Accuracy with the loads are great. Shot a buck with my 300 win mag at 75 yards. Shot was just above the heart. 3 major exit holes. Found fragments in the backstraps. It went through a rib and blew up. It was the Hornady Factory loads with SST bullets

Latest posts