Anybody had good luck with Hornady SST in .30 caliber?

ROVERBOY

I've been thinking about trying these in my .30-06. Probably 150 or 165 gr. Do they out perform the Interlocks?

Jcalder

They're basically interlocks with a plastic tip. Should expand violently. Should fly just a bit flatter since the bc is better but depends on what you mean by outperform. Basically Hornady's version of a ballistic tip.

Remi

Generally from what I've seen not as tough as the standard interlock. Not a huge difference but some. As mentioned above they would flatten the trajectory some on longer shots.

Lone Hunter

I've always had better accuracy with the Interlock's than with the SST's. In any caliber the Interlock has always shot better than the SST. Other people may have better results than me though.

ROVERBOY

They're basically interlocks with a plastic tip. Should expand violently. Should fly just a bit flatter since the bc is better but depends on what you mean by outperform. Basically Hornady's version of a ballistic tip.
I was thinking maybe they are a little deeper penetrating than Interlocks. But, I was wrong. Everything I've heard about Ballistic tips are that they are bombs.

Remi

I was thinking maybe they are a little deeper penetrating than Interlocks. But, I was wrong. Everything I've heard about Ballistic tips are that they are bombs.

The varmint ballistic tips are light jacketed and fragment easily.

Hunting ballistic tips are quite different.

Like any cup and core bullet a ballistic tip will come apart if the impact velocity is too high.

Jcalder

The overall construction is just like interlocks. Just with a plastic tip vs exposed lead. The tip helps initiate expansion and probably causes them to expand more violently.

Grizzly Johnson

I had great luck with the SST, 25/06 117gr, 30/06 165gr, 308 150 gr…

This is my Rem 700 LTR in 308 with 20" barrel @ 100 yds and bipod, I pulled the 3rd shot a little:

Attachments

• 68981235086__58B89350-EEA0-49F8-8078-1C8608A93454.jpeg
    68981235086__58B89350-EEA0-49F8-8078-1C8608A93454.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 20

Tiny

I never have used them much but in my 06s 150gr 56-57 grs H414/760 did well.
Recently some 180s with IMR4451 did better than AB 2ns might take to field despite not a full work up..Will continue as time allows after season. The Abs hovering around 1 inch the only sst fired 2 through same hole.. didnt have time to fire the 3rd one. Tightest that one rifle has shot in a long time. Throat is worn bad.Might be some life left in it..
8x57 170 6.5 staball lights out

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
I can't tell any difference in performance, between the SST's and interlocks. Accuracy is about the same. I reload both over 4064 and have only ever lost one deer and had to look for one other. Usually they are DRT, which is my measure of performance.

These results are only for deer, the occasional coyote and one exploding armadillo.

ROVERBOY

I can't tell any difference in performance, between the SST's and interlocks. Accuracy is about the same. I reload both over 4064 and have only ever lost one deer and had to look for one other. Usually they are DRT, which is my measure of performance.

These results are only for deer, the occasional coyote and one exploding armadillo.
Do they exit with a shoulder shot?

Union Co. Boy

Buddy and I have used them for years in the 117 grain Superformance .25-06. Extremely accurate and always DRT or a very short blood trail. Usually drop within sight. Only had a couple that weren't complete pass throughs. Those recovered were pretty violently expanded, so not the most beautiful and uniform mushroom, but I have no complaints. We've recorded kills from 35 yds out to 197 yds. Several kids have used these gun/round combos with great results.

east_tn_gk

Have used the SST's in .260 & 30-06, very lethal with massive wounds. Depending on how far you shoot, the SST may shoot flatter at longer range b/c of bc as mentioned above. I have also found the old style cup and core penetrate and expand slower than the ballistic tips.

Latest posts