300 savage with Varget

Remington742

I have a Remington 760 in 300 savage that I am reloading for. I can find load data for 150 grain Sierras using Varget in Sierras load data. I am wanting to use 180 grain hornady sst but can't find any other load data using the Varget. (Still new to reloading so I'm trying to learn)

MUP

Punching in your bullet weight for 300 savage, gives quite a few powder options but varget isn't one of them.
Yep, it's great for the .308 but not so much in the 06. And I'm not certain why but that's what I've always read. Have you got any flavors of 4350 to try? H4350, AA 4350, IMR 4350?

backyardtndeer

Yep, it's great for the .308 but not so much in the 06. And I'm not certain why but that's what I've always read. Have you got any flavors of 4350 to try? H4350, AA 4350, IMR 4350?
I just looked briefly, but I believe the data at hodgdon also gave some data for both h4895 and imr4895.

Remington742

Since I just got into it the varget was the first powder I've been able to find outside of ordering powder. I have all other components and have all my cases preped and primed now I'm trying to learn the rest.

backyardtndeer

I found some reloading data for the h4895 and it closely resembled the load data I've found I varget.
The burn rates for the two are similar, but I don't think it is safe to interchange them. I will go downstairs and look in my manuals and see if I can find anything for varget for 300 savage.

Remington742

The burn rates for the two are similar, but I don't think it is safe to interchange them. I will go downstairs and look in my manuals and see if I can find anything for varget for 300 savage.
Thank you I've got the newest edition of the hornady reloading manual and it has Varget in it for 300 savage but my other manual doesn't. I like to have two different books to compare so if there are any typos then I catch it before I can't.

backyardtndeer

Thank you I've got the newest edition of the hornady reloading manual and it has Varget in it for 300 savage but my other manual doesn't. I like to have two different books to compare so if there are any typos then I catch it before I can't.
Contact Hornady directly and ask them if they have any data for those bullets with varget. If they do, they will give you the data. I did this with eldx bullets when they were relatively new, and they sent me back the data they had for them with the powders I asked about.

Remington742

Contact Hornady directly and ask them if they have any data for those bullets with varget. If they do, they will give you the data. I did this with eldx bullets when they were relatively new, and they sent me back the data they had for them with the powders I asked about.
Awesome I will definitely do that I appreciate the help!!

Remi

Nosler shows data with 180's. Start low and work up.

jlanecr500

I don't have your brass and coal variables to throw in the mix. I ran QL as shown below. Fill and burn % are both good around 95%. At SAMMI length, the node will be real close to 35.75gr. I'd start at 35 and work up in .2gr increments all the way to 36gr if needed. Pressure is low.
In my experience, Varget likes it hot so it may not be the best powder for this application but appears the numbers work out to get on a lower node.
1000003274.jpg

Since Varget likes it hot, I ran the Hornady 208 btsp or interloc. The pressure is better and didn't lose much velocity. The charge lowered to 34.75gr so I'd start at 34gr, working up in .2gr increments to 35gr if needed.
1000003275.jpg

Last edited: