Anybody got any wild boat recipes?

DaveB

Yessir you do indeed have a need!!!!!!!

I would change boat to boar but I actually do know a guy who was hitting it down a canal outside of Sawgrass and hit a gator. That guy did inded try to eat his boat.

d

JimFromTN

All the wild boar I have eaten tasted just like store bought pork with the exception that it did not have as much fat and a boar is allot tougher than a sow. A big male will require you to either cook it to death or beat it to death. A meat tenderizing mallet is a good investment. Slice the loin about 3/4 inch thick and then beat it until its about 1/4 inch thick then you can either dredge in flour and fry and maybe make some sawmill gravey or make your favorite schnitzel recipe.

catman529

wild boats with a Merc or Yamaha are the best by themselves, just marinate with water. but with an OMC they need some work, add some shop time before you marinate

fishboy1

Did it have good fat when you cleaned it? Did you leave some attached to the meat?

Biggest mistake when processing wild hogs is removing any fat that could be retained. The muscle has much less fat in it than store bought pork which makes it dryer and tougher. Oh let me revise that... the BIGGEST mistake is not removing all the glands, especially from older boars.

Best pork I have ever tasted was a 200Lb wild sow I shot during a HEAVY acorn year. The fat on the boneless porkchops was sweet and had a hint of nuttiness. It would have been a crime to cook them with anything but salt and pepper in a cast iron skillet. Mmmmmmmmmmm

For the leaner ones, any of your low/slow style recipes are good. When I smoke shoulders/hams I hit them hard with smoke for 1-2 hrs then wrap tightly in foil. This is a bit earlier than I do with store bought since it is leaner and will dry out faster. Any method of cooking regular pork will work, just keep in mind that wild stuff tends to be much leaner and a bit tougher and adjust your cooking times/temps/methods accordingly.

Enjoy !!

4fshn

If you grill it use low heat and keep painting with mixture of orange juice and butter on the outside. I like to marinate in Mojo sauce, you can find it at public, sometimes at kroger or online. Best meat in the woods if done right.

Latest posts