Wild turkey question..

Tenntrapper

Trying something new today....wild turkey pot pies. My question...what would be best way to cook the turkey to get it tender? Low and slow...a long boil, or put in pressure cooker? If the PC....for how long? Don't want to turn it into mush.
Thanks

TAFKAP

Personally, I hate a pressure cooker and the tinny taste it can impart. Are you talking legs/thighs and breast? Breast only?

Wet brine for 24 hours to ensure moisture retention. If it's me, I'm going to start by browning the meat on both sides, medium heat, in butter. Use either a dutch oven or a deep frying pan with a lid (cast iron preferred). Pull the meat after it's got a good brown crust on it. Pour in a cup of white wine, scrape the pan smooth when it sizzles, then whisk in some stock and a 1/2 stick of butter. Slice some thick rings of white onion, scatter across the bottom, then place the meat on top. Whatever liquid is in there should just barely touch the bottom of the meat. Throw in a bay leaf or two, salt & pepper the liquid, then cover the pan and run it in a 250° oven for about 4 hours.

Latest posts