Anybody ever corn their own beef?

green doe

I know it is probably too late to corn some beef for this year's St. Patty's Day but I've been interested in doing it for some time and, really, any day is a good day for a great Reuben. So does anyone have any experience doing that?

bowriter

R.I.P.
Tried it once. Just horrible! Now I just buy it. But strangely enough, I did a deer hindquarter once. And it came out ...

Just horrible.

Now. My late great friend, Russ Jackson was raised way out int he country. His mother was 100 pure country. She use to can deer meat and it was delicious. It was very close to corned beef. Of course, she also canned carp. That was how I learned to spell BLECHT!

Probably more than you need to know.

JimFromTN

I have never done it but I have thought about it. I love fresh corn beef and pastrami. There are a couple of videos out on youtube on how to do it. I think there is also a recipe in the joy of cooking. If you start it today, you may have it by St Patrick's Day. I think you just let it sit for 2 to 3 days in the frig.

Hawk

JimFromTN said:
I have never done it but I have thought about it. I love fresh corn beef and pastrami. There are a couple of videos out on youtube on how to do it. I think there is also a recipe in the joy of cooking. If you start it today, you may have it by St Patrick's Day. I think you just let it sit for 2 to 3 days in the frig.

JFTN.........Is there a good place in Nashville to get a really good pastrami with swiss on pumpernickel?

jb3

Hawk, you may want to check Mitchell's Deli (off Gallatin Road, intersection of Riverside Dr/McGavock Pike) they have the best sandwiches.

Also, in East Nashville where Gallatin changes to Main (Five Points area), Marche makes a really good Reuben (Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Spicy Russian Dressing, Gruyere Cheese, Jewish Rye).

Hope this helps.

JimFromTN

I don't know of any really good places like you might find in New York where they pull it fresh out of a steamer and slice it right there for you. Wish I did. The only place I know of in Nashville would be Noshville on Boadway. They are on the pricey side. It seems like the only way to get really good corn beef is to buy a raw corn beef brisket at the grocery store in the fresh meat section and cook it yourself. That stuff you get in most deli's does not even compare.

I will have to look for Mitchells next time I am in that area.

jb3

Mitchell's is good. They get their bread from Silke's in Clarksville and they get proscuitto from Benton's. They have a twitter page you look at online, should be able to google "mitchell's deli twitter". It shows what they have on their hot bar each day and it's usaully pretty good as well.

I would have said Noshville, but we did their site at Nashville Airport and I really didn't care for the owner. That said, they do have really good food.

JimFromTN

Mitchells sounds really good. I like Noshville but you pay New York prices for the New York deli food. You can expect to pay $10 for a sandwich but I think that is pretty standard for anywhere claiming to be a New York deli. Goldies Deli prices were about the same but they were not as good.

jb3

I did like Goldies. Probably like the ambience more than the food. Can't believe it's gone. It was about 5 minutes from my house.

I think you said you visited Lazzaroli in the Germantown area. He is high, but he's got some good stuff that's suppose to be in soon, pancetta pepato and wild boar sopressatta. Next time I'm in, I will be asking for samples.

JimFromTN

It was just around the corner from my house too. They were nice people and I got a sandwich to go there probably every other month. I imagine Goldies is gone because the neighborghood was not an $8 to $12 a sandwich neighborhood and they just did not have the business. They had a pretty good lunch crowd but I think dinner was lacking the business they needed. Noshville is in a better location for students from Vanderbilt and have a good dinner crowd.

I did go to Lazzaroli's and got some of that bacon as well as some fresh pasta and made carbonara with it. I also got some dried salami which was really good. The bacon was not outragously expensive. I think it probably came out to be about $12 a pound which is about what you would pay for prosciutto. Fortunately, I only needed a 1/4 pound. I will definately be going back when I need specialty items that they carry.

Hawk

jb3 said:
Hawk, you may want to check Mitchell's Deli (off Gallatin Road, intersection of Riverside Dr/McGavock Pike) they have the best sandwiches.

Also, in East Nashville where Gallatin changes to Main (Five Points area), Marche makes a really good Reuben (Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Spicy Russian Dressing, Gruyere Cheese, Jewish Rye).

Hope this helps.

JFT & jb3...Thanks for the suggestions. I had dinner at Marche the last time I was in Nashville and it was very good. I did not know how tender and sucullent a beef rib can be. The soup was special too.

jb3 & hanks for all the suggestion

bowriter

R.I.P.
I don't believe you can make New York corned beeof pastrami unless you fifth generation Jewish. My grandmother made it in a big glass thingie and it took almost a week.

JimFromTN

I was watching the travel channel a few weeks back. I think it was man vs food and they were at a resturaunt where they made all their own pastrami and corn beef. When you ordered a sandwich, they would pull a roast out of the steamer and slice it. It looked so good.

jb3, have you been to the italian market on 54th, I think, right off charlotte? I went in their today and its allot different from the last time I was in there about a year ago. They have a big selection of salami's/sausages which they make in house. Pretty good selection of stuff in there now. Of course, since its a specialty market, everything is over priced. Its a little different type of selection from Lazzaroli's and I think they are more expensive.

Hawk

JimFromTN said:
I was watching the travel channel a few weeks back. I think it was man vs food and they were at a resturaunt where they made all their own pastrami and corn beef. When you ordered a sandwich, they would pull a roast out of the steamer and slice it. It looked so good.

jb3, have you been to the italian market on 54th, I think, right off charlotte? I went in their today and its allot different from the last time I was in there about a year ago. They have a big selection of salami's/sausages which they make in house. Pretty good selection of stuff in there now. Of course, since its a specialty market, everything is over priced. Its a little different type of selection from Lazzaroli's and I think they are more expensive.

Is that the market just past Wendell Smith's. If it is I had lunch there last year and it was very good and reasonable. Each time I have been by there are several police cars in their lot. I don't recall them having any salami/sausages. I will have to check that out

There is a mexican restaurant in the same area but on the south side of Charlotte. Some really great food there and I can't remember the name of it.

JimFromTN

I think thats the one. Its just called the Italian Market, I think. You have to turn down 54th and its just before you get to the interstate bridge. They have expanded what they carry in the last year.

There was a mexican resturaunt call La Chiquita, I think, that was pretty authentic that was really good but unfortunately they went out of business. It was down past White Bridge Rd. My favorite mexican resturaunt is Las Americas on nolensville road but you have to be into authentic mexican food. It aint no Las Palmas. Everything is grilled fresh.

jb3

Haven't been to the Italian Market on 51st since it changed hands about a year ago. There does seem to be a really good lunch crowd there, never have seen an empty parking spot at noon. Been meaning to try dinner one night with the wife, just need to get that baby sitter reserved.

Also another place right down the street from it the wife and I are talking about trying for our anniversary in May, "Miel". It's right behind Bobbies Dairy Dip. Parking lot is behind Krystal. Suppose to be some pretty good food.

JimFromTN

51st, not 54th, I knew it was one of those low 50's street numbers. They have a $5 lunch special everyday. When I was there, it was spagetti and meatballs.

I have not been to Meil. I remember seeing something being worked on back behind Bobbies but never looked into it. Its definately a special occasion type place. Have you been to Cafe Nona? Its next to where Goldies used to be. I have been thinking of an anniversary/special date night dinner there. The menu looks really good. Its about the same price range as Meil. Of course, Chappy's on Church is always a good fall back.

jb3

Did Cafe Nonna back in the day and it was good. One of the best meals I've had in Nashville was next door (couple spaces down) at Park Cafe, in the fall, on the back patio. Great place to spend a couple hours having dinner/wine/etc....

Before we got married/kids/etc...my wife and I would try to pick out a place to go have dinner about every other Friday. Now, if we go out to eat, we try to find places with high-chairs. lol.

JimFromTN

Is the Park Cafe that seperate building next to the laundry matte? I have always seen allot of people there. Apparently, they own Eastland Cafe as well which looks pretty good too.

Latest posts