Another Savage Smokeless Question . . . . . .

TheLBLman

Which states and Canadian provinces don't allow the Savage smokeless muzzleloader during their "muzzleloader" seasons?

Would some of these allow if black-powder substitues were used instead of smokeless powders?

WTM

it would be best to refer to the state you wish to hunt, because each states laws are different and some just plain confusing. not only do those laws pertain to smokeless, bp or subs but they also have provisions for type of action, scopes, even projectiles. take colorado for instance, with the Hornady FPB for elk it would be illegal to use because of its length being 3 times its diameter.

ewc

Yes, but the Savage itself is still legal.

You cannot ban a manufacturer.

If one wanted to, one could argue the "black powder substitute" and win with a five-year-old as your atty.

The bore size and bullet length will get you before the powder type will ever enter into the discussion.

WTM

ewc said:
Yes, but the Savage itself is still legal.

You cannot ban a manufacturer.

If one wanted to, one could argue the "black powder substitute" and win with a five-year-old as your atty.

The bore size and bullet length will get you before the powder type will ever enter into the discussion.

i wasnt refering to savage rifles being banned as a manufacturer, i was just merely saying types of actions may be illegal depending on the states laws.

but colorado did pass a law outlawing electronic ignition, basically banning CVA'a electra. as for the powder type, colorado specifically states that smokeless and pelletized powder systems are prohibited, along with sabots, .50 cal and above for elk, and any sight other than open or iron sights are prohibited.

so without banning savage rifles, colorado basically banned savage rifles along with the cva electra in not so many words. in colorado, the only way a savage would be legal is with a full bore bullet, black powder/powder sub, and open sights.

i still think it would be wise to contact the state's dnr of your planned hunt to get the low down on their laws on muzzle loading firearms, especially in wisconsin, colorado and california.

ewc

My savage has been to Colorado to hunt elk on several occasions - just without me. Each time it was perfectly legal.

FWIW- Smokless powders are the original "black powder substitute".

WTM said:
i still think it would be wise to contact the state's dnr of your planned hunt to get the low down on their laws on muzzle loading firearms, especially in wisconsin, colorado and california.

I could'nt agree more.

Latest posts