Another CWD Question

TNCharlie

**If this has already been addressed elsewhere, I apologize for bringing it up again and will delete this note***

At the recent meeting concerning CWD, it was recommended that deer testing positive for CWD be taken to the county landfill,and if the county landfill does not allow the dumping of carcasses then bury them. Burning does not help because the heat required to destroy the prions is 1800 degrees.

Also at the meeting it was stated that the CWD prion exists in the soil. In the TWRA liteterature it states that the prion can be absorbed from the soil by plants that are consumed by deer.

So how does burying an infected deer do anything other than establish CWD in the soil of the burial spot? Perhaps in a landfill the carcass would be so deep that the danger is diminished but the prion would still be there.

And, no, I do not have a better solution and I am not being critical of the TWRA. I don't think anyone has the solution right now.

MickThompson

Prions can't move or self replicate. If you bury them in a landfill, they will be forever buried in the landfill and unable to come in contact with a deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

Less movement of remains by scavengers (when remains buried)
especially less by raptor scavengers.

MickThompson":33a72165 said:
If you bury them in a landfill, they will be forever buried in the landfill and unable to come in contact with a deer.
Unfortunately, no plan is 100% here.
Dogs, coyotes, anything could dig up and scatter remains.
For sure, a landfill is better than just burying somewhere on the farm, etc.

TNCharlie

MickThompson":e48kgl2p said:
Prions can't move or self replicate. If you bury them in a landfill, they will be forever buried in the landfill and unable to come in contact with a deer.

Using a landfill certainly lowers the possibility of spreading the prions. But simply buried the prions can be absorbed by plants and could possibly be spread by drainage and ground water. In fact it would seem possible (not in a landfill) that ground water in a CWD area would be contaminated.

It is just a very tough situation.

Andy S.

MickThompson":218d81b5 said:
It's risk management/mitigation, not sterilization.
Ditto. MDWFP recommends burying AT LEAST 8 foot deep.

"All bone, brain and other carcass waste materials should be disposed of within the hot zone by double-bagging and sending to a landfill, or through deep burial, eight feet or deeper."

TNCharlie

Andy S.":2k58vpsv said:
MickThompson":2k58vpsv said:
It's risk management/mitigation, not sterilization.
Ditto. MDWFP recommends burying AT LEAST 8 foot deep.

"All bone, brain and other carcass waste materials should be disposed of within the hot zone by double-bagging and sending to a landfill, or through deep burial, eight feet or deeper."

I had not seen that. That should lower the spread risk. Other than getting them to a landfill I'm unsure how many people can manage getting am 8-foot hole dug.

I sure hope that an effective solution can be found but that at this point it is just a hope.

TNCharlie

Gosh. I just did a search on if/how a prion can replicate. There is a ton of technical stuff out there, but the exact replication process does not appear to be fully understood. My impression with just a glance at the available information is that the trigger for replication is the secret, and that secret has proved to be very elusive. I'm not qualified to explain any of this. So, if interested, get ready for some serious reading.

WTM

if a landfill is certified then i will be built to standards. that means liners, containment drains and sumps, methane pumps, etc. then a liner to cover to whole heap and then another layer of topsoil on top of that liner.

Thirty-06

I've read so much stuff on cwd lately my brain has been spinning non stop. I've read a lot of Mis information and what I think good info from some of y'all and TWRA. I've noticed fawn and doe numbers down a lot over the last years at my place in whiteville. Here's just a question, if prions are in the soil, could the prions evaporate and be spread through rain kinda like fish eggs? Or am I just thinking to deep. I have one deer I killed this year already and was too late to test but waiting on a doe i killed Sunday to come back! I'm thinking that if my doe comes back positive I'm throwing the other away. I took the head to TWRA Sunday and they said they couldn't test It but I've read u can test the brain? Would u eat a deer that was positive and feed It to your kids or family? I believe I will not and not have that burden of something happening to my kids in the future as we find out more on CWD.

BULL MOOSE

Thirty-06":1a6mk2xz said:
I've read so much stuff on cwd lately my brain has been spinning non stop. I've read a lot of Mis information and what I think good info from some of y'all and TWRA. I've noticed fawn and doe numbers down a lot over the last years at my place in whiteville. Here's just a question, if prions are in the soil, could the prions evaporate and be spread through rain kinda like fish eggs? Or am I just thinking to deep. I have one deer I killed this year already and was too late to test but waiting on a doe i killed Sunday to come back! I'm thinking that if my doe comes back positive I'm throwing the other away. I took the head to TWRA Sunday and they said they couldn't test It but I've read u can test the brain? Would u eat a deer that was positive and feed It to your kids or family? I believe I will not and not have that burden of something happening to my kids in the future as we find out more on CWD.

What a mess. Throw the dang meat away and just start over. Earthworms need food. I hope they did not eat any already.

Thirty-06

Exactly what mess are you referring too? I'm definitely throwing the meat away from a positive test result, the unknown of the other Is what gets me but who knows how many we have all eaten already!

diggerak

Probably ate 40 or 50 over the years. Don't panic just slowly walk in circles till you feel the effect then sell me all your hunting stuff for a Dollar. Lol truth be known everyone of us hunters has probably ate a deer with this so it's up to the good Lord now

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

I was told that deer travel through river corridors. In Fayette and Hardeman counties that would be the Hatchie and Wolf River corridors. It was mentioned that flood waters through those areas and downstream could transport infected ground to new areas but also stated that they would probably be too diluted to do any harm.

AT Hiker

Mike Belt":18v2l0gd said:
I was told that deer travel through river corridors. In Fayette and Hardeman counties that would be the Hatchie and Wolf River corridors. It was mentioned that flood waters through those areas and downstream could transport infected ground to new areas but also stated that they would probably be too diluted to do any harm.

The Colorado facility (original discovery of CWD) dug up 6" of dirt and treated it with bleach. CWD still persists in that facility. Nothing would surprise me on how it got here, nothing.

Mike Belt

Factual or not???? I read something on here concerning scabies (similar to CWD) infected sheep. It read that infected sheep were removed, and for the next 7 years an additional 2 feet per year of soil was top dressed on this land. At the end of those 7 years healthy sheep were put back on it and they came down with it again. If this is true and CWD is anything like that I don't see how you can do anything about it.

fairchaser

Mike Belt":i8rmhsmp said:
Factual or not???? I read something on here concerning scabies (similar to CWD) infected sheep. It read that infected sheep were removed, and for the next 7 years an additional 2 feet per year of soil was top dressed on this land. At the end of those 7 years healthy sheep were put back on it and they came down with it again. If this is true and CWD is anything like that I don't see how you can do anything about it.

Nothing can be done to eliminate CWD especially if it's gone environmental. That's why containment is the only short term strategy. Suppression by keeping it in an specific area and eliminating things that concentrate groups of deer like mineral licks and feeders is all a temporary fix that buys time. Time is needed to give agencies the time to educate the public and to hopefully find a way to cure or stop it.

Latest posts