And the winners are....270 WSM and Leupold

JDRET

I ordered a new rifle and scope this week after doing my homework for weeks on calibers, scopes, and ammunition.

I decided on a Savage Model 11 270 WSM and a Leupold 4.5-14X40LR.

Like I said, I've done my homework. I've read two hundred or more threads if I read one on the 270 WSM, scopes and ammo. I read some articles too, but I find you have to take those with a grain of salt since some new guns and scopes trade hands between the authors and manufacturers. Good, bad, it was all well worth the reading. Add to that all the questions I've asked of people I know who I regard as knowledgeable in hunting rifles, ballistics, and optics.

Should have them both by the 2nd and hope to post some good news and range target pics within a couple of weeks.

Tikkabuck

Congrats and good choice,my 270 WSM has been winning me over in leaps and bounds since I got her 2 years ago. Mine is flat deadly with 130 grain SST's and Magpro.

JDRET

sky, I looked at the VXII's, but I came across a pretty good deal on ebay that included the base and rings for the VXIII I purchased.

I don't reload yet Kimberman, but, it is something I hope to pick up before long. A co-worker of mine is heavy into varmint hunting and long range shooting reloads all his ammo and has offered to get me started. I'm going to start out by trying both Winchester Supreme 140gr Accubonds and the Federal Vital Shock pushing a Nosler 140gr Accubond. From everything I've read, those factory rounds have given the most consistant longrange performance and accuracy. I read a couple of threads where some fellas out west were having good luck with 110gr in I believe a A-Frame? Anyway, I'm looking forward to doing a little experimentation down the road. Thanks for the suggestion.

JDRET

Well, tomorrow will be 10 days since I ordered my new rifle. I had to call the dealer in WI and ask about the hold up. The customer service rep tried to tell me there was a problem reading the FFL paperwork I had faxed. I explained to her that she and I had spoken on the phone not 10 minutes after I had faxed the paperwork and she had assured me that it was a clear copy with my name and order number on it and that it would be out the door within 2 business days....that was a week ago Monday. So, with a little luck, I'll have the gun in my hands before my FFL dealer closes tomorrow.

To top that off, my scope arrived today minus the "free" base and rings that were suppose to come with it. So, there was another phone call I had to make just to learn that he didn't have the rings in stock and that it would be Thu-Fri at the earliest before he would be able to get them in the mail to me. Based on the shipping time of my scope, I'm guessing Wed-Thu next week before I see them.

I'm doing my best to understand what time of year it is and give these businesses the benefit of the doubt, but gosh, it's frustrating.

JDRET

Well, got the gun today, along with a couple of tools I ordered for installing and squaring the scope. But along with that came another setback. I went and purchased another scope base, same number that was suppose to ship with my scope. Got home and realized it was for pre-2003 Savages without the accutrigger. Made a call to Leupold (should have done that from the start) and they gave me the right number. To boot, the place I bought my scope from mailed out my rings and base today before I could let them know of the mistake. Made a couple of calls around town and a local gun shop will have it for me in the morning. I may actually get to shoot this gun next week...bar anymore setbacks. I've learned a major lesson here....take your gun to the shop to buy rings, bases, etc.

Latest posts