AMP hunting land

Fireman 244

2-Step Enabled
Has anyone or does anyone have a hunting lease managed by AMP Hunting land? If so what are your opinions on them? They took over our lease agreement last year raised the price and now again this year! Spoke to them last Year cause it went up so high and was told it wouldn't be raised much this year. Well this year is here, doesn't seem like they can do math cause up it goes again and not just a little. I guess they are trying to price everyone out, $4.00 raise already.

DaveB

Go to the landowner and see if he agrees with the price increases and if so take your business elsewhere.

Best of luck

tellico4x4

25% increase in 3yrs since they took over the "management" from F&W & 57% more than our other lease. This is on property that we've had for 20yrs & have made ALL the improvements on. They have brought nothing to the table, no benefits whatsoever by having them involved.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Fireman 244

2-Step Enabled
Made a phone call to find out why the high increase. Reminded them of previous conversations of small increases not large increases. Asked for road improvement since price keeps going up. I was told last year that all improvements are on us. We were concerned of another increase so we didn't put the $2000 or so into road repairs for someone else. In case we couldn't afford the land this year with new lease pricing. Asked again about road repairs and was told the same thing it's on us. Not happy at all with new increases plus the cost to repair roads. Heck only way down the road is if you walk or if it's dry on a quad or rhino. No truck or tractor will make it so no hunting improvement work can get done!

They did asked me to email pictures of the road. So I sent pictures of all the wash outs on the road and hope it gets repaired. Asked them to redo their math on the lease cost too. It's a waiting game now.

Andy S.

From what little I've interacted with AMP, and the handful of stories I've heard, they appear to be a joke, constantly raising prices and driving the common man out of the woods. I'm sorry your experiencing this BS. Just another reason it's getting harder and harder to recruit and retain hunters and outdoorsmen.

Hardwoodmaterials

They took over a bunch of land around me and the minute they took over the price per acre went up 3-4 times what it was the year before. Most people had to let the leases that they held for years go because they simply couldn't afford it. My buddy and I had a small lease of a couple hundred acres that we leased from a timber company. We kept the road up and planted some small food plots it was split off a much larger spot that the timber company owned by a main road. When AMP took it over the guys on the big lease had to let it go because of the massive price jump. AMP told us they was making it all one piece and we could lease it all or none of it. Of course we couldn't afford around 8-10 times the acres at their inflated lease price. From what I could find AMP doesn't actually own anything and are just a group that leases all the land they can find and subleases to hunters at GREATLY inflated prices. Now if I see that AMP leases the land I just move on. They will change the price and the rules when ever they feel like it so its not worth the hassle to deal with them.

JCDEERMAN

Best thing to do is invest in some land. It is kind of like renting an apartment....when you leave, no matter if you rented it for 20 years, you leave with nothing to show for it. My FIL has paid for hunting leases for over 40 years - if that money was put towards a piece of land, he'd own it, it is worth something, and he'd always have a place to hunt.....no matter what. That may rub some the wrong way, it is just the business side of me coming out.

We are living in some crazy times. Land is one thing this world will never make more of. Invest - its value will always go up

Andy S.

Hardwoodmaterials":30g245yu said:
From what I could find AMP doesn't actually own anything and are just a group that leases all the land they can find and subleases to hunters at GREATLY inflated prices.
My understanding as well. Sound likes a bunch of bean counters in it for the profit only, nothing else.

tickweed

JCDEERMAN":2c0ea2od said:
Best thing to do is invest in some land. It is kind of like renting an apartment....when you leave, no matter if you rented it for 20 years, you leave with nothing to show for it. My FIL has paid for hunting leases for over 40 years - if that money was put towards a piece of land, he'd own it, it is worth something, and he'd always have a place to hunt.....no matter what. That may rub some the wrong way, it is just the business side of me coming out.

We are living in some crazy times. Land is one thing this world will never make more of. Invest - its value will always go up
Yes, so very well said. A guy I know just rented a duck hole this month, gave $32,000 for one blind, 5 year lease, and excited about it to just hunt 60 days a season. Why would you spend $160,000.00 in 5 yrs on rent, when you could buy or apply this money to something you could own some day? Just not good financial dealings. Except for the renter.

Spurhunter

I've been leasing from Amp for 4 years. I have a good relationship with the 2 guys I deal with there. They go up on me every year, but it has been small increases. I've tried to keep the number of members low but it's getting harder and harder to do. They know hunting land is hard to find so they can charge what they want. I honestly think they believe you should have one member per 40 acres.

As far as buying vs. leasing, a lot of folks just can't afford to buy. I bought a small tract so I would always have a place to hunt, but you can't really turkey hunt a small tract. And with timber prices sky high anything with good hardwoods will be outrageous.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

Spurhunter":226ntmam said:
I've tried to keep the number of members low but it's getting harder and harder to do. . . . . I honestly think they believe you should have one member per 40 acres.
I've actually heard that from several people, who are giving up their leases with AMP this year,
and/or implied this year would be their last year to lease,
having found out that today's public hunting lands are competing favorably with crowded, over-priced leases.

Add to this some coronovirus and economic fears, the spread of CWD, etc.,
and fewer people than ever are going to be paying a premium, much less driving a long distance to hunt deer.
It's my understanding that much of AMP leases are leased to hunt club members who live several hours away from the lands.
Most locals know better (or may simply be unable) than to pay such $, especially when neighbors let them hunt without charge, or for very little.

Thus, AMP's greed appears to be destroying their own market,
as well as significantly contributing to lower numbers of deer hunters in the future.
Among those not simply "aging out", many are just taking up other recreation,
although good numbers are hunting other game and just doing a lot more fishing.

Most deer hunters, especially the ones who can afford AMP's high prices, are "aging out",
and younger hunters quickly find the public land hunting is little different, often even better, than crowded leases.

Like most everything, price becomes dictated by the law of supply & demand.
Contrary to what many of you think, the actual supply of deer hunting land is increasing,
while the number of hunters (the demand) is decreasing.

Deer lease prices should be going down, and I have no doubts, most will.

Also, among those licensed deer hunters, the average hunter is spending fewer hours afield hunting with each year. So it's not just fewer hunters, but each hunter (on average) is spending fewer days hunting annually.

From what I understand, most of AMP lands are timber-company lands, much of which is un-huntable cut-over, and should be worth (as a hunting lease) only a fraction what farmland deer leases can command. Go directly to farmers & landowners, and plenty of comparable to better deer hunting lands are often nearby available for much less money, and the landowner may still be getting much more money than what AMP is paying them.

Still trying to figure out just what AMP does for these hunters, other than take their money,
then pass along a portion of that money to the landowners.
I mean, how hard is it for a landowner to collect a check once a year to lease hunting rights to a hunter?

Lots of big farms are now passing from one generation to the next, and many the younger farmers aren't into hunting,
and are much more eager to lease hunting rights than their parents and grand-parents.

P.S. Each new generation is hunting less than the one before, and
the amount of deer hunting has been steadily decreasing on most public lands over the past many years.

I could only have dreamed of the quality of deer hunting on today's public lands in my youth.
It really does beat many of the private lands many are hunting.
Different dynamics, but you might find the deer are actually less hunted,
and the odds of a top-end mature buck just as good, sometimes even better.

JeepKuntry

I use to follow their page. Never leased from them. Saw numerous comments about leasing properties and then they dealt with timber harvest during seasons. No warning, just a money grab and deal with it.

DaveB

My experience in Fayette County says many hunters are not renewing leases and I believe it is CWD-based.

I did have one landowner who wanted in excess of $30.00 an acre.....Another would only sell at the mere price of $20,000 an acre.....

At the same time I am moving forward with acquiring my own piece of God's green earth.

Best of luck to all

Latest posts