Always a deer down wind

Mr.Bro

Question? How many of us have enough properties that we can pick a new spot when ever the wind changes?
So if the winds not right we simply don't go huntin?

Mr.Bro

Hahaha yeah that was a lil tongue in cheek. But not completely.

I actually do hunt a lot of public. It's not what it was pre covid though. There are lots of people now. But I still enjoy it. Just gotta work a little harder.
I really want to know how many.
I really doubt anyone just stays home if the winds are wrong. Unless your retired you probably don't get to pick your days.
I suspect most of us don't have more than 1 place to hunt.

Rakkin6

The best advice I could probably give is pretty basic. Hunt high and let the thermos do some of the work for you. Be has careful has you can in eliminating or keeping has much of your scent to a minimum has possible. I hunt from at least 20' up but depending on the area and the angles with a bow I will get 25'-30 if the angles aren't to drastic.

Another option might be instead of hunting the tree hunt their travel route a couple hundred yards away. They may have a staging area kind of like they do on field edges before coming to feed in the evening.

Sorry if these have already been mentioned I didn't read every response. Best of luck to you and remember where a harness.

BSK

Question? How many of us have enough properties that we can pick a new spot when ever the wind changes?
So if the winds not right we simply don't go huntin?
Why would you need to change properties? I guess if your hunting property was 5 acres or something like that.

We have a stand for every 10 acres of land, and on any given wind direction at least a 1/3 are huntable. But then we plan it that way when deciding where to place stands (take into consideration wind direction when planning stand moves/placement).

JCDEERMAN

I really want to know how many.
I really doubt anyone just stays home if the winds are wrong.
I primarily hunt one property, with the exceptions of a couple leases on the plateau I hunt the week of thanksgiving with the in laws.

All properties are different - I get that and their layout is key here. If you had some flat open land with minimal timber, I could see how this could be an issue bowhunting. Gun hunting, many of those spots can be more lenient due to poking out at a distance. We have a good chunk of land, but even if I divided it out into 25 acre chunks, there would still be plenty of opportunity. It is all hill country with 95% hardwoods and 5% food plots. Rolling hills of hardwoods provide multiple opportunities.

Short answer, no I will not sit at home. On days the wind is very bad hunting our land (S wind), I'll simple go to a less intrusive spot where a S wind may produce something and maybe scout on the way back gathering intel. I may just need to take my climber or saddle and tweak my location. I do set up several lock-ons for every wind direction. It's just getting there could be worrisome.

Latest posts