almost.....

gobblinfool

I got to try a stand in the evening, perfect wind....I use an Ozonics, so everything is truly perfect wind. The farmer was out cutting the beans...but he was in the far field....hoping he would stay away.

About 5pm I noticed movement and here comes a year old buck perfectly downwind of me, he walked right under my stand, I grunted so he would stop and I could take his picture....there was a time that he would have been shot....I even sent the picture to my sister who wants meat...I told her was to young.

I was truly only expecting to see does, still seems warm to me, but when the sun went down it cooled off.....about 605 I heard a noise to my left upwind....and there was another buck. A decent 8pt, but I didn't jump up...until he turned his head and was outside his ears....his tines weren't super long, but as I looked at him I was certain he was a 3.5 year old, so I stood up and grabbed my bow. There was a hole in the branches about 8", so I drew back but noticed a branch in the way, so I let down. The buck was focused straight ahead...oblivious to my presence. Then I heard the farmers combine enter my field.....and the buck ran right to me, so I quickly adjusted my sight and drew....but unfortunately either in the let down or in the changing of my sight the arrow came unknocked.....luckily I didn't shoot. The arrow fell to the ground. The buck bounded off.

There was a time I would have kicked myself, but was grateful for the up close personal experience. I have been so busy at work that time afield has been limited....well that ends this weekend with hunting in TN and KY. I might have to get a ML for the upcoming season.

Latest posts