Alaska Moose Hunt

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Never been, but I want to. Coming up with nearly $20k to do a guided moose hunt is out of the question though. Check out this website though and look in the Chat room part of it. Its a talk forum with a lot of info on moose hunting Ak.
http://www.pristineventures.com/

7mm08

IF you guys want info on a prime Maine moose hunt PM me. I know a guide that will have it offered this fall. I know him and he just sent me some info on it. It won't be 20K.

There are lots bullwinkles in Maine and 20 hours by car from East TN.

4onaside

Colorado(and Wyoming) are getting more and more moose, and, at least in Colorado, you can DIY. The big trick, of course, is getting drawn. It would take several years(preference points) and a Non-resident has to send the license fee with the application, 15 or 16 hundred bucks, which you get back if you are unsuccessful. I have seen several while on elk hunts in Colorado. These are Shiras meeses which do not have as big of horns as do the Alaskan subspecies. But big enough, particularly for those who have never hunted moose.

JimFromTN

You don't have to be drawn for a tag in Ak. They are about $400. I did a DIY moose/black bear hunt with my brother in AK. He lives there. We hunted a friends property that my brother knows. We saw one calf, one cow, and tons of sign. Two days after we left, the owner said he saw a 60in moose walking thru his back yard and he sees tons of black bears as well. Unfortunately, my brother did not put in for a cow tag. If you are interested in being guided, there are allot of less expensive places to go. Everything is expensive in AK. Even gas is more expensive than it is here. You might check out Newfoundland and Alberta Canada.

If you are going to do a DIY in AK, there are lots of books on it. I am wanting to get back and do a float trip next time. There are outfitters that rent rafts and gear. My brother and I have discussed doing a week long, 70 mile rafting trip the next time I come up.

7mm08

The Moose hunt in Maine is on Native American land and supposedly it is opening up this fall for guided trips. The guy I know is from the Penobscot tribe. Great fellow. I have hunted and fished with his father for over 25 years. They harvest a moose every year. I just got some info and will do some reading this weekend and let you guys know.

bigfoot318

I have hunted deer when I lived in Maine and am not interested in going back to Maine. My friend is getting stationed in Anchorage, AK. We have elk, deer and bear hunted in Idaho together but we want to hunt moose while he is stationed up there in the Air Force. Are there any salmon running during the moose hunt?

JimFromTN

You are at the very tail end of the salmon run when moose season opens. You may be able to still catch some silvers before they turn red and die but thats only in the very beginning of the season. A week or 2 into the season and there won't be anything except trout. If you go fishing, carry a side arm. I would not carry anything smaller than a 44 mag. You'll just make them more angry with anything smaller. Allot of people will tell you that you don't need one and they are probably right but when you are standing knee deep in a river and start thinking about what could popup out of the bushes and be munching on you in a matter of seconds, it will make you feel a little more comfortable.

Hawk

JimFromTN said:
You are at the very tail end of the salmon run when moose season opens. You may be able to still catch some silvers before they turn red and die but thats only in the very beginning of the season. A week or 2 into the season and there won't be anything except trout. If you go fishing, carry a side arm. I would not carry anything smaller than a 44 mag. You'll just make them more angry with anything smaller. Allot of people will tell you that you don't need one and they are probably right but when you are standing knee deep in a river and start thinking about what could popup out of the bushes and be munching on you in a matter of seconds, it will make you feel a little more comfortable.

Is this what you are talking about. :)
image71.jpg

bigfoot318

Do you mean I can't swat him on the nose with a fishing rod to stop him????? Them bears are like a run-away freight train with teeth.

Latest posts