Alaskan Coastal Brown Bear hunt

megalomaniac

So... brown bear is open fall 2025, but not fall 2026... 2026 is spring from what I have gathered.

Be hard to beat Phil Shumaker and his kids or Katmai Guide services. But you already know this.

Those are the Rolls Royce of Brown bear hunting... at the tune of $25,000 a hunt, not counting license, tags, transportation. I'm sure there are up and comers out there who are good for much less, but don't have the track record that Phil or Joe does. But if $$$ is no object and I wanted to kill a giant bear... I'd book with those 2.

If you have a friend who is a resident in Alaska, you can do the hunt DIY for about $5000 all inclusive except for taxidermy.

Antler Daddy

So... brown bear is open fall 2025, but not fall 2026... 2026 is spring from what I have gathered.

Be hard to beat Phil Shumaker and his kids or Katmai Guide services. But you already know this.

Those are the Rolls Royce of Brown bear hunting... at the tune of $25,000 a hunt, not counting license, tags, transportation. I'm sure there are up and comers out there who are good for much less, but don't have the track record that Phil or Joe does. But if $$$ is no object and I wanted to kill a giant bear... I'd book with those 2.

If you have a friend who is a resident in Alaska, you can do the hunt DIY for about $5000 all inclusive except for taxidermy.
I wish that I my kids were older and I was younger. I would just about insist they enlist in military and seek an Alaska station. What a great place to spend your 20's with some planning.

megalomaniac

I wish that I my kids were older and I was younger. I would just about insist they enlist in military and seek an Alaska station. What a great place to spend your 20's with some planning.
Or even better... a kid in AK with a pilots license and a super cub.... good grief, I'd move in from mid Aug until mid Oct. Heck, I'd even buy the AV gas 😀

Snowwolfe

Not accurate. The only non residents who do not need a guide for brown bear are those hunting with a relative within the 2nd degree of kinship.

Snowwolfe

Anyone ever went on one? It's a major bucket list hunt of mine and I've decided to get one booked for 2025-2026. Probably looking at a fall hunt.
Anyone with any advice, send a PM.
Start calling guides now. These hunts book up well in advance and if your planning on a Kodiak hunt or similar area then you will likely need to apply for the proper permit as well.

Last edited:

tellico4x4

Or even better... a kid in AK with a pilots license and a super cub.... good grief, I'd move in from mid Aug until mid Oct. Heck, I'd even buy the AV gas 😀
Grandson did one of his pharmacy rotations in AK and they offered him a job when he finished school. I was soooo hoping that he take it but his new bride nixed that idea 😔

Latest posts