Age please?

cbhunter

the straight on shot shows that he is 3.5 minimum. I say that because of the fullness of his neck. He certainly could be older and I agree with what Andy says above. He will score around 145-148 IMO

Spurhunter

TX300mag":3kvdtwg5 said:
That's a great buck spur, I hope you get him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! He is an 8 point of a lifetime in my opinion. This is the only time he has graced my camera but that doesn't mean he isn't around. I hope to introduce him to a 165 grain friend of mine. :D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TN Larry

What Andy said in terms of the timing. He does appear in the first zoomed in pic that he is 2.5 but possibly 3.5. The zoomed out version excluding looking at the antlers makes him look like a rutted down 3.5.

I think that he will score 140" minimum if not a few more. He looks a lot like the deer in my avatar pic with a little longer g3s. Mine score 140s 3/8" with a couple stickers, and I think 137 and change as a clean 8 point. That's a heck of an 8 point anywhere and hope you get him.

megalomaniac

Still looks like a 2.5 y/o to me body wise, legs are WAY longer than depth of chest. But one SHOULD also look at the rack to help determine age. It's part of the big picture, but certainly NOT the main factor when determining age. I'd tend to say the deer is a rutted down 3.5 y/o when considering the overall picture (abnormally large rack for smallish body).

As far as score, I think he'll get really close to 140", but not quite... I figure around 138" or so. Good luck with him, hope you have a good encounter with him at the very least!

Spurhunter

Thanks guys. I learned some things here. I can assure you if I see him he'll be as old as he'll ever get. I posted this figuring most of the guesses would change after I included the antlers. His body does look abnormally small for his rack. Almost like a Texas deer.

Spurhunter

catman529":2i8pz8hn said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If he is in fact 2.5 that is some superior genetics and nutrition.
b7062d3d54e093a221123add6f579f8b.jpg

pass-thru

Spurhunter":1evo1789 said:
pass-thru":1evo1789 said:
That's why you need the proper body angle to age by photos.

I'll post a sign at the camera for him to turn sideways next time! :tu:

Regardless of angle I think we can all agree that body doesn't match the amount of bone.

Except aging by body is not about mass, rather distribution. He appears to not have a large body, but we can't see the distribution.

GRIT

Well if the camera is making his body look smaller then maybe the camera is making his rack look bigger. :tu:

catman529

Spurhunter":6jwygp9x said:
catman529":6jwygp9x said:

If he is in fact 2.5 that is some superior genetics and nutrition.
b7062d3d54e093a221123add6f579f8b.jpg

that pic shows his neck a little better...I would say he looks 3.5

Andy S.

Spurhunter":nszjof1z said:
This is the only time he has graced my camera.......
This is another thing I like about mid December to end of season. I usually pick up a dandy of a buck (>140") or two on trail cam during this time that I had no previous knowledge of. I suspect they are waaaay outside their typical range searching for does, or they are returning to their summer range since range shifting mid September, now that the hunting pressure has subsided.

Question SP - would you say this general area (not just your lease) gets low, moderate or high hunting pressure? Reason I ask is I suspect this buck is older than we are giving him credit for. I can promise you 99% of all TN Deer hunters are shooting as soon as they see his rack. No ifs, ands or buts about it, BOOM! The fact he has made it this late in the season suggests he is wiser than the average 2.5/3.5, and not already dead, especially with that much bone on his head. Just food for thought,

Spurhunter

Andy S.":zgod5kg3 said:
Question SP - would you say this general area (not just your lease) gets low, moderate or high hunting pressure?

I had to think about this for a few minutes but I my answer is "low". My lease is 400 acres. My son, myself, and one other member hunt it pretty hard, but my other members average 3 hunts per year. My 2 neighbors with 250 acres each hunt a lot but have multiple properties and are legit trophy hunters. A 120" 8 point gets a pass from them. A couple of the smaller properties that border me don't get hunted at all. The only exception is one property on my west side. I hear a lot of shots coming from that direction. Another bonus is we have a lot of blocks of thickets you can't walk through so there are definite sanctuaries.

Spurhunter

Andy S.":xum3cud0 said:
This is another thing I like about mid December to end of season. I usually pick up a dandy of a buck (>140") or two on trail cam during this time that I had no previous knowledge of. I suspect they are waaaay outside their typical range searching for does, or they are returning to their summer range since range shifting mid September, now that the hunting pressure has subsided.

I agree. My son and I run cameras pretty much year round (we start focusing on longbeard numbers and areas after deer season) but in January we typically get a pic of a new shooter buck or two that we hadn't seen all season. It's a good feeling knowing season is closed and he made it through. I am addicted to running cameras and enjoy it almost as much as the hunting.

Latest posts