Advice on Washing a Ghilie Suit

R&T Farm

I got my burlap ghillie suit out and it smells super musty. My wife said good luck having a deer get near you with that smell.

I think the suit maker said not to wash it in a machine.

i sprayed Dead Down Wind on it but it didn't help.

Any advice on how to get rid of the smell on it would be greatly appreciated.

megalomaniac

I washed my top this past spring... first time in about 10 years. It was FILTHY!!!

The way I did it, and it worked well was to fill the sink with cold water, add liquid laundry detergent, then hand wash it turned inside out and zipped up. Water was nasty, so I drained it, rinsed it, and hand washed it a 2nd time. I then just hung it to dry. Did no damage to the jute fabric sewn to the backing, and smells much better. I only use it turkey hunting, so I used scented detergent.

44 mag

If you are just trying to get ride of the smell could you build a wood fire and "smoke it" I have never done it but I have heard the old timers talking it. Of course that was 20 to 30 years ago and they are all dead now.

TNLynn

Sunshine kills most any smell I've tried to remove from anything, even a cooler that someone forgot to take a few fish out for a week. Cleaned cooler well! Soaked full of water and half gallon bleach for 24 hrs. Still STUNK! One day opened in direct sunlight, moved ever couple hours so sun would hit in it, and smell was gone! Cost nothing to try!

R&T Farm

Thought I'd give an update.

Nothing I've done has helped. I tried spraying with Dead Downwind, washing with Dead Downwind detergent, rinsing with a hose, and letting it sit out in the wind and sun.

The suit was never worn but stored inside in a closet.

My point is not to complain but to say I'd never buy another suit with burlap. Even if it doesn't bother the deer, the smell is too much for me. I'll buy another synthetic suit.

Dennis

Ozone will kill the odor. Put in an enclosed space with ozone generator. I've never seen an odor that stuff wouldn't kill.

TRHC

Try adding a couple cups of white vinegar to your wash and let it soak for a good while before rinsing. That works great on nasty tennis shoes or gym clothes.

Latest posts