Additional benefit of velvet hunt

Bwales95

I popped into BPS today to get some new arrows cut (super nice guys in there and no charge!!). The gentleman helping me out said that they've been covered up with business because of the upcoming velvet hunt. I hope other archery shops are benefiting from this as well- its an aspect I haven't thought of until now.

buckaroo

Good luck to those going. I just can't get excited about it. I hate warm weather hunting with a passion , buck or not. I usually do not see buck movement till Nov anyways and I have been bowhunter for 40 yrs

Andy S.

I would like to see crossbow sales data for this year compared to last five. I've heard of a lot of guys who want that "extra 20 yards" with "no time to practice", so voila, the crossbow is the answer.

tree_ghost

Andy S.":2azrdynm said:
I would like to see crossbow sales data for this year compared to last five. I've heard of a lot of guys who want that "extra 20 yards" with "no time to practice", so voila, the crossbow is the answer.

I'd hate to know the marginal shots that will result from that reasoning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@fulldraw

Andy S.":187dcehd said:

It's all about the kill now days. Compounds will be like longbows and recurves before long.

Mike Belt

I'm all for carrying the most optimal weapon I can when it comes to serious hunting during prime buck movement, as in carrying my rifle during the rut versus a bow or muzzleloader. Still, when it comes to archery hunting I feel like 90% of a successful hunt is being able to get a good shot off. To me that means getting in position and being able to draw on a deer without being detected. Drawing a bow for the shot at close range and holding that position until the shot just seems to be the attraction for me in archery hunting. That option is null and void with a crossbow.

Bwales95

Mike, I agree with your assessment and feel that we're of the same position on crossbows- nothing wrong with them and they're legal, so to each there own. But, when a bruiser is killed with a crossbow, I'm not quite as impressed as I would be had it been done with a bow (surely just a biased opinion because I hunt with a compound bow). I'm sure recurve/longbow guys feel the same when a big deer is killed with a compound, and there's probably some crazy person jumping out of a tree after deer with a bowie knife wondering why a bow is needed at all!!

PillsburyDoughboy

Mike Belt":3gx24r5p said:
I'm all for carrying the most optimal weapon I can when it comes to serious hunting during prime buck movement, as in carrying my rifle during the rut versus a bow or muzzleloader. Still, when it comes to archery hunting I feel like 90% of a successful hunt is being able to get a good shot off. To me that means getting in position and being able to draw on a deer without being detected. Drawing a bow for the shot at close range and holding that position until the shot just seems to be the attraction for me in archery hunting. That option is null and void with a crossbow.

Good luck trying to get a second shot off with a crossbow if you miss . With a compound bow u can pull back quietly and quickly . Not so much with a crossbow

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
PillsburyDoughboy":2crsnmqe said:
Mike Belt":2crsnmqe said:

Good luck trying to get a second shot off with a crossbow if you miss . With a compound bow u can pull back quietly and quickly . Not so much with a crossbow

Maybe, but by the time you clip your release back on a compound you likely already slung another arrow out of the crossbow. Think about a muzzleloader, loud boom deer stands there trying to figure out what the heck it was and your shacking so bad you hear ram rod all the way down the barrel. Using the compound if you miss, you still move slowly trying not to spook the animal. Crossbow takes literally 1 second to chocolate chip cookie and another second to put next arrow in. Compound is by far more difficult. JMO.

Andy S.

TDW05":mvts7te8 said:
....... loud boom deer stands there
Not all deer react the same. There is virtually no opportunity for a second shot at the deer we hunt at Ames unless you shoot an automatic rifle and you are hunting an opening where you can see a big open area, hopefully shooting at them when they stop running. Furthermore, the movement it takes to chocolate chip cookie or crank a crossbow would alert every deer we ever see, especially if they are within 30 yards, so a follow up shot with a crossbow is not happening for our hunters.

Mike Belt

I've only shot a compound bow deer hunting but thinking back I don't remember ever getting a second shot at a deer. I either hit the deer or missed and they've vacated the area or at least my shot range.

PillsburyDoughboy

Mike Belt":1zps68ie said:
I've only shot a compound bow deer hunting but thinking back I don't remember ever getting a second shot at a deer. I either hit the deer or missed and they've vacated the area or at least my shot range.
Well now days I don't miss too much so not really needing a second shot so much. But in my earlier years of bow hunting I slung plenty of arrows and missed. If you tree stand hunt and use the wind correctly they just think its sticks being thrown at them usually. They will usually jump or bump a few yards but if they were grazing or there was something in the area keeping them there they usually went right back to what they were doing after a few seconds so I generally was able to get a second shot off and sometimes a 3rd or 4th shot. Yeah I was bad back in the day. This was before laser range finders and getting smart about flagging trees with yard markers.

I tried a crossbow for a couple of years due to a injury and could never get a second shot off on a deer. The exaggerated movements of bending down and the extra loud click and noise of drawing them back always made them weary . To each his own I guess. Ill be sticking with a compound... at least till they make the Airbows legal for everyone. Then I may be convinced to move to one of those.

Headhunter

So y'all are saying this aint' happening with a crossbow. Not to hard to get off a second shot with my compound.

Attachments

• 3 in one morning.jpg
    3 in one morning.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,910

Latest posts