A waterfowl report

Taylor

FYI...here's an waterfowl report from Mid-South die-hard duck hunter Scott May:

"The farmers in Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee are "taking an economic bath" because of the wettest October on record. Beans are moldy; corn is sprouting in the ears and cotton is down in grade.
Those farmers who have not given up are draining their fields and attempting to harvest what is left of their crop.
When the crops are out, the fields are stopped up and now the duck leases/clubs have to pay to pump because we are experiencing a very dry November.
It has been very warm this Fall and there have not been any significant migrations in the past 30 days.
Flooded crops up north are giving the ducks plenty of food and resting areas.
The White, Cache and Bayou DeView are still high and this is spreading out the few ducks in Arkansas.
I have checked with 4 different "silk stocking clubs" and none are reporting large concentrations of ducks, certainly not mallards.
Count on a slow opening week.
Mississippi opens for 3 days, the day after Thanksgiving, and the reports from the Magnolia State are similar to those from the Natural State.
I don't have any news from the Tennessee gumbooters.
FYI, I like to go to press by noon on Thursdays; therefore give me your duck info by Wednesday. I will keep the "exact" location secrete and just give the "general" area, such as large concentrations of ducks "south of Harrisburg."
Good hunting."
- Scott

Latest posts