Waterfowl Hunting Fatality

TheLBLman

I used to think turkey hunting was the most dangerous type hunting in TN.
But since the two boys were murdered while hunting at Reelfoot a couple years ago,
I think waterfowl hunting is the most dangerous, and oh so many more ways.

Be careful guys.

Dodge Man

But since the two boys were murdered while hunting at Reelfoot a couple years ago,

Be careful guys.
A lot more people drown from falling out of a boat while hunting than get shot while hunting.

I have not done the "Google" research. But I would be willing to be money that more people die while fishing then hunting over every year.

Dodge Man

Be careful guys.

More Than 100,000 People Die Annually Across Global Fishing Sector, New Research Shows.

According to a report by the National Safety Council[4], the odds of dying from an accidental gun discharge in the U.S. are 1 in 7,998. When you narrow those accidents down to hunting, specifically, the chances become even smaller. The IHEA reports that fewer than 100 hunters die yearly from firearm accidents[5].

A study found that 300 to 500 hunters in the U.S. die in tree stand accidents annually, and 6,000 sustain injuries from falls[5]. Almost 80% of falls happen while the hunter ascends or descends the tree stand. One of the leading causes of tree stand deaths is the lack of a safety harness, which attaches to the tree and prevents the hunter from falling if the stand fails.

IMG_1352.jpeg

TheLBLman

Yes, overall, hunting is safer than fishing, and fishing is safer than "boating".
Waterfowl hunting often combines boating with hunting.

Most hunting deaths are not from being shot.

I was just saying I believe a hunter may be more likely to be shot while waterfowl hunting than while turkey hunting. And if you get shot by a fellow hunter in your duck blind, odds are high you will bleed out & die very quickly.

Dodge Man

Yes, overall, hunting is safer than fishing, and fishing is safer than "boating".

I was just saying I believe a hunter may be more likely to be shot while waterfowl hunting than while turkey hunting. And if you get shot by a fellow hunter in your duck blind, odds are high you will bleed out & die very quickly.
My point was I have heard of very few cases of people being shot while duck hunting. I personally have heard of more people drowning in backwaters or running rivers while hunting then being accidentally shot. It scares me a lot more running a flooded river in the dark the it does sitting in a duck blind with a couple loaded guns.

Dodge Man

Generally agree, but depends on who is with you shooting in that duck blind.
I can agree with that, I have hunted with some very unsafe people in duck blinds in the past. But i didn't invite them back. I hunt with the same group of guys most days now and all are very safe. The only time i get concerned now is if someone brings a dog and it wants to run up and down the shooting deck.

Chaneylake

Shot in a duck blind by another hunter is light years beyond stupid imo.

Chaneylake

I can agree with that, I have hunted with some very unsafe people in duck blinds in the past. But i didn't invite them back. I hunt with the same group of guys most days now and all are very safe. The only time i get concerned now is if someone brings a dog and it wants to run up and down the shooting deck.
Tie the dog to a 2 x 4 or take owner and dog to the bank.
This is the only solution.

Chaneylake

My point was I have heard of very few cases of people being shot while duck hunting. I personally have heard of more people drowning in backwaters or running rivers while hunting then being accidentally shot. It scares me a lot more running a flooded river in the dark the it does sitting in a duck blind with a couple loaded guns.
I firmly believe that I have the ability to passenger you in my boat going 20 minutes down the Hatchie River in the darkness and you will feel extremely safe on the second trip down river.
It's not a speed thing to me.
It's a total safety issue with me.

Latest posts