Waterfowl musing

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Granted, I am not a duck hunter, however, I have been thinking on something.
Say you are on a wma somewhere, tucked into a gar hole since tdub took all the good spots away.
There are spreads of 500-1,200 decoys in every spot.
I just keep thinking about what would happen if you threw out 2-3 dozen high quality decoys and maybe a spinner tucked off in the edge of the woods.
With the exception of the no hunting areas, to me that would be more "realistic" than the 1,000 decoy spread.

Anyone ever tried anything like that?
IF we do get a blind this year, at least one day, I am gonna try it.

jman 125

I would be careful with that because on most wma you have to be at a staked spot unless you are in the walk in area. If im not mistaken and i probably am.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I would be careful with that because on most wma you have to be at a staked spot unless you are in the walk in area. If im not mistaken and i probably am.
You are correct.
I am talking about being in your drawn spot, in a blind and instead of having 1,000 decoys, just throw out 2-3 dozen.

jman 125

You are correct.
I am talking about being in your drawn spot, in a blind and instead of having 1,000 decoys, just throw out 2-3 dozen.
I misunderstood your post . That being said you never know what a duck will do. Back when i duck hunted we would start big and pick up as the season progressed and we never had a 0 day. But we didn't burn them everyday either

Dodge Man

We have tried big spreads (800+), small spreads (3-4 dozen) at our blind. Have tried no mojos, 1 mojo, and even 12 mojos on some days.

I think the smaller spreads work on ducks that have been in the area for a long time and see the same spreads every day. But at the start of season and on migration days nothing beats a big spread with lots of motion.

As for quality, we hunt with almost all new flocked Higdon battleship mallards with some different scrap ducks mixed in. I don't know if anything looks more realistic than maybe hand carved and painted decoys.

yellalinehunter

I like to match what I'm seeing. If it's some ransoms passers then I think a smaller set is better and if you're seeing big groups then making your spot look like a refuge is a plus. Motion is key regardless. Different styles and random seems to work better for me

Polarkraft

Depends, how many birds are in the area? Are they stale, or new? What point in the season is it?

Point being, if you have new ducks good weather and are sitting on a wma with a bunch of birds on it, big is the way to go.

I've done as few as 2 or 3 decoys and a jerk cord on stale birds and had good results. This was in a low count wma though.

gasman

Granted, I am not a duck hunter, however, I have been thinking on something.
Say you are on a wma somewhere, tucked into a gar hole since tdub took all the good spots away.
There are spreads of 500-1,200 decoys in every spot.
I just keep thinking about what would happen if you threw out 2-3 dozen high quality decoys and maybe a spinner tucked off in the edge of the woods.
With the exception of the no hunting areas, to me that would be more "realistic" than the 1,000 decoy spread.

Anyone ever tried anything like that?
IF we do get a blind this year, at least one day, I am gonna try it.
I've been trying to tell you this for years. Pick up decoys every day too. @cbhunter

OffHand85

This reminds me hunting in Wynn's Ark. with a buddy whose dad was always on a big lease, while they sat in a heated blind drinking coffee and eating hot biscuits we were taking the atv to the back of the property where farmers dump the rice hulls, two ditches crossed right there probably 10 ft deep, carried 6 decoys on homemade spreader and threw it in the cross section, would have a limit and a crowd in an hour! Rice and cane tires make good ruts for ducks to lay down in as well, some of the best hunts I'll ever remember were with less than a dozen decoys!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I've been saying that I'm going to put out a several hundred decoy spread, and then go the to opposite end and throw out one decoy. I figure every duck that flys over will try and land there. 😀
Hunted in Missouri one morning after a thaw. All the decoys had been pushed against the bank by the ice. Had a heck of a shoot till the sun got up good.
There were three decoys tangled up about 100 yards from the pit.
EVERY duck that came in landed by those three decoys that were literally touching. Lol

Biggun4214

Of course it's not West Tennessee but we only use 10-15 decoys where we hunt. We are as successful as the blind not far from us that puts out a huge spread. Our biggest obstacle is water level due to beavers.

Latest posts